Hawaii South shore summer

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Florida Eastcoast rep

Hawaii South shore summer

Postby Florida Eastcoast rep » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:58 am

Hey guys im 22 from Florida near Cocoa or sabastion Inlet .Ive been surfing for over 7 years and pretty good aleast compared to the guys here.But anyways im goin to be staying at the Marriott across from Conoes and Queens .What ive heard Conoes sounds like Kook ville or a bunch of torists.I need info on any breaks around my area that i can walk too or a place i can rent a car.Ive heard of Kaisers and Ala mona those sound sick.I only ride boards 6"2 and under .But please help im in the dark on this one.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:47 am

Sounds like you should be charging Pipe.... still got a few NW swells incoming

Kelly7873

Postby Kelly7873 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:11 am

Guide book to Hawaii: amazon.com

Surf map of Oahu: wannasurf.com

Another surf map:surfline.com

Get a rental and get out of Waikiki!!!

Florida East Coast

Summer surf

Postby Florida East Coast » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:38 am

My bad guys forgot to say im goin be in Waikiki in July and early august.I dont think im goin be charging pipeline on my first trip to hawaii but deffently want some overhead surf hopefully.Is theremuch surf on South shore in summer i heard its your prime season for South?As you can probuly tell im in the dark about this.Im just hoping theres a couple spots arpuind queens i could possible walk too.Cause most car places you gotta be 25.Anyways any help will go a far ways cause only a handfull of guys around here have even been to hawaii.Mahalo

malekos

Postby malekos » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:08 am

The south shore is only 2miles long.. You can walk to all the breaks. If you had a longboard it would be a biotch to carry it all over.

Kelly7873

Postby Kelly7873 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:37 pm

It seems to me that the best south swells come in May and June. I don't remember much hitting the last few years few years in July and August but it takes quite the south swell for me to remember it. If you're here long enough you should get something that is very good by Florida standards but be prepared for flat spells.

The typical south swell will have beautiful conditions but be intensely packed and be rather inconsistent. The Waikiki breaks will be mostly long boarders, on the plus side many of them will be in Bikinis.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:52 pm

If you really want to surf go to Mexico.
Summertime in hawaii is way overrated.
lotsa wind slop chop, with a few days of unbelievable surf thrown in.
Like Kelly says May and June has the best potential for south side surf.

Eastcoaster

Summertime

Postby Eastcoaster » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:19 pm

Thanks alot guys .I have a feeling its goin be a very interesting trip.The surf over here gets sooo flat in july into august its Pancake flat.Weve been getting lots of swells latly .Check out http://www.2ndlight.com or surfinfo.com for good pics 2ndlight has a great gallery .This is one of the breaks kelly slater grew up on.Not the best break but ofcourse popularty makes websites not the quaility .Anyways Mahalo.Check out floridas surf.guys over here will surf the wave till its competly dead not like alot of places ive been .Floridas reping not much to rep but were trying LoL.Peace Rob

EASTCOASTER

SUMMER SURF

Postby EASTCOASTER » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:47 pm

Oh yea and LGREANZ im not going to waikiki for a surf trip .Its for my girlfriends parents work ,So i get to come and by chance im in the place were surfing came from.You dont understand on the east coast of florida theres real flat summers lik 2 months usaully were its competly pancake flat and sharks everwhere :twisted: Its no game here.But im just saying if i was planning a surf trip to hawaii i wouldnt be coming to Waikiki in the summer with everyone and there dog.Id hopefully try to surf North shore scrapes.Hopefully is the word there.Theres a big diffence in overhead surf here breaking on a SANDbar and overhead shit there breaking on reef.Anyways peace out.

malekos

too lazy to login

Postby malekos » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:30 pm

malekos wrote:The south shore is only 2miles long.. You can walk to all the breaks. If you had a longboard it would be a biotch to carry it all over.

I mostly longboard I use to surf all the Town breaks...and I walked to 'em. Now, I moved back to my roots of the westside. I still walk to all the breaks here except fo' an ocassional hitch hike to some of da farther locations. I only shortboard when the time is right... usually heavy pitching barrels :D

I'm waitin' fo' my friend to call and let me know when the swells start to arrive in Town. There's 1 place in Town where you wouldn't believe it's Town. I'm not saying where, but here's a clue. No free parking :lol:

Have fun Eastcoaster :!:

Thebigz0

Postby Thebigz0 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:33 pm

If you have to stay in waikiki, try out publics. It's that outside left to the left of the sponge spot called the wall (when standing on shore). Breaks at pretty much any size, and the crowd isn't too nuts. Only thing you gotta watch out for is the coral heads.
North shore will most likely be flat in the summertime. You should still get up there if you can, and you might just find a rideable wave.

HMARK

1 word.

Postby HMARK » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:35 pm

Well, maybe two - -

Go Exploring.

edit - there is more out there than you would think.

:wink:
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

eastcoaster

summersurf

Postby eastcoaster » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:20 am

Right on thanks for all the help guys.Im stoked im goin get some surf atleast.How far is the paddle out .i was watching the sheraton cam and it looked like it was breaking in the middle of the ocean.crazy shit.And how about the coral reefs are they real shallow?I surf some reef breaks here they stick out on low tide im guessing same kinda thing .Mahalo rob

malekos

Re: summersurf

Postby malekos » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:21 am

eastcoaster wrote:Right on thanks for all the help guys.Im stoked im goin get some surf atleast.How far is the paddle out .i was watching the sheraton cam and it looked like it was breaking in the middle of the ocean.crazy shit.And how about the coral reefs are they real shallow?I surf some reef breaks here they stick out on low tide im guessing same kinda thing .Mahalo rob

If you're looking at the Sheraton Cam... then you will be looking at Pops. Tha paddle out can be up to a third of mile offshore. Hope you got some paddle muscles.(to get you back to shore)

Erik from NJ

Learning different tools

Postby Erik from NJ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:45 am

Florida guy,
If you can't find surf that suits your 6'3" when you get there, be open enough to learn to ride a longer board while in Hawaii. It's good to learn to ride all sorts of boards. Being a well rounded surfer will only enhance your surfing opportunities. As you may know a chest high day on the east is a flat day there so go searching when it's "flat"

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”