Missing Pipe surfer

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Missing Pipe surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Have any of you heard any update about the missing surfer. I just logged after being offline the last week and i just read the story. I grew up surfing with Joaquin, he wasnt a close friend, but always one of those guys that said hi to everyone, would talk story, didnt try to wave hog, and always willing to give some wax. He was a regular at one of the breaks I surfed alot in Puerto Rico, really nice guy too. I hadnt seen him last few years, didnt know he had moved to HI. I still cant believe he just went missing with no trace, he is a good surfer- one of the better (or best) guys when ever i went out and saw him surfing. my prayers go out to him and his family.

http://www.playero.com/photos/ty_260_11686966430000.jpg;jsessionid=aqvCn8wisFY5
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Howzit PRS - We were on duty the morning they started the search after he was declared missing (2330 they night before) by the end of the day (1500-1700) they had ID'd his board.

Besides us, and water safety, the coast guard had the big bird (plane) and the chopper searching a area of 1000 miles. I am pretty sure from what was said on the radio that the currents form the PM before, and all day on the 12th were pretty strong.

Crews searched beachfront from Pipe in both directions. Nothing came from that search. The Coast Guard found a total of 3 other broken boards that day as well. The board that belonged to him was actually found the night before.

Usually crews will search for 3 days. More if reasonable clues are found.

Morning of the 13th they started again, but I dont know what if anything came from that. Coast Guard may send guys out past the 3 day window, and we assist, if they want. They almost always do. And I am sure the bruddahs from water safety are doing what they can as well.

Hope it helps a little.

Prayers out to the family.

Aloha.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:11 pm

thanks for the heads up Mark.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:37 pm

Anytime, my friend.

Aloha.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:38 pm

C & C helichopter was still buzzing around last night from pipe to rockies.
lap after lap hovering above the surface scouring the crevices.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 am

IIRC, this is the 3rd year in a row where a surfer has disappeared without a trace surfing country. Wasn't it two years ago a young surfer disappeared at Pipe, then last year that girl disappeared surfing V-Land?

driftfast180

surfer?

Postby driftfast180 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:02 am

Was announced that search was called off and he is announced missing at sea. Sad day once again that pipe has claimed yet another life. Condelences to the family, A remembrance for Joaqui Vellilia happened Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at ‘Ehukai Beach

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:06 am

just read the article about this guy, and his friend has a statement in the paper where he says Joaquin said "i'm goin out to get one more".
this guy was a dedicated surfer and shaper i think he went out how he would've liked.

the road of life may be long and hard, but sweet and short for some.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”