Waterproof cameras

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
olly

Waterproof cameras

Postby olly » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

thought i should start a new topic on this...

[quote="Bud]
Yeah I saw them new at amazon.com for as low as $220 ... but watch out - it's used and no charger for that ebay one HMARK, plus nice of him to display the serial number in high res![/quote]

HMark, I have an extra charger and other cables ect since they replaced the whole package. if you do get one on ebay with missing stuff i'm happy to give you the extras... however...
to everyone. i drowned my first camera within a few weeks of buying it, i wasn't even surfing and was well within the limits of what they say it's capable of. the new version appears to have the same seal on the battery compartment. Now hopefully the one i had was bad, but without that warranty i would have lost $300+ $60 flashcard down the drain after only 3 uses.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:15 pm

How appropriate thanks Olly. I have an ad in the classifieds here :P

http://www.808surfer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=940

yes, apparently I was very fortunate to get over a year and countless hours of surf time with my optio - Fabian and Neal went through at least 4 between them (warranty returns). BUT - I had mine in everything from waist high to triple-oh pounding and always for at least two-3 hour sessions and it always came through working (until last month, when it mysteriously would not start up)

For example here's a shot I took of laks just before his wave crushed me. Sit up, snap the shot, then camera strap held with my teeth while I attempt to duck. Vicsious ragdoll board ripped away almost bit through the strap, the camera was still on when i finally came up

red

Postby red » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:56 pm

I've been having trouble with the free web space for photos. Any chance you will figure how to upload stuff to wavelust? I know, I know...

How about good places to post photos that aren't a pain in the ass?

laks

Postby laks » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:57 pm

i've been using atpic.com - nothing flashy but it seems to do the trick. You can stick them up full res. Only bummer is you have to upload the pics one by one

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:18 pm

I've been having trouble with the free web space for photos. Any chance you will figure how to upload stuff to wavelust? I know, I know...

the problem with this BB is that the upload feature is a 'mod' that has to be done by hand, AND every time they update the code for the BB itself, you have to re-do any 'mods'! I don't know why an attachment/upload feature cannot be a standard thing.
:roll:

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:20 pm

oh by the by, Circuit City has 2 gig Sandisk SD memory cards on sale for $34!!

ramone

Postby ramone » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:57 am

OH SHIT!!!
I already ordered mine from newegg.

ramone

Postby ramone » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:36 pm

red wrote:I've been having trouble with the free web space for photos. Any chance you will figure how to upload stuff to wavelust? I know, I know...

did you try http://imageshack.us ?? it's good.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:40 pm

wooop! the optio don't like the 2 gig card. apparently 1 gig is the max it can read.

neosponge

Postby neosponge » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:37 pm

Bud wrote:

wooop! the optio don't like the 2 gig card. apparently 1 gig is the max it can read.

My Optio is using a 2G SanDisk card.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:24 pm

My Optio is using a 2G SanDisk card.

hmmm, must be operator error. maybe I should have formatted the disk somehow

red

Postby red » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:12 pm

Thanks Laks and Ramone. I guess I'm out of excuses now.

goro

Postby goro » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:33 pm

i have the old optio 33wr, which is supposed to be JIS Class 7, water resistant...i've had it for 3 yrs or so now, taken it all over the world and beaten the shit out of it...i don't regularly take it out surfing with me though...i mainly wanted a durable camera and liked that u could just pop in some AA batteries so i wouldnt have to screw around w/ all those various plugs and adapters...anyways, in doing some research on the camera durability specs, i wanted to see how they tested them and if water resistant for cameras was like the wr for watches spec...i wuz a little surprised that they really aren't...anywayz, here's some links that summarize some of the info that i found and hopefully is helpful to some of you:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Resistant

laks

Postby laks » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:12 pm

I returned my Optio that i ordered from Amazon (no warranty) and ordered one from Circuit City with a 2 year warranty. Came out to about 360 with shipping and 2 year warranty. The guy said it covers water damage and accidental drops or stepping on it etc. He said you can bring it in to the Circuit City store when you have problems.

Kelly7873

Postby Kelly7873 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:13 pm

I just got a Costco flier and I see that they'll be selling the Olympus 725sw for $329.99 in March. The 725sw is an upgrade on the 720sw and has 2 major improvements that I see. It's waterproof to 16 feet (5 meters) and it has a "water-drop free lens". The best thing is Costco's lifetime return policy.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”