board painting?

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:47 pm

nice work RR

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:31 pm

Nice work indeed!
A break like that...will it be semi-solid with that repair? I always wondered about trying to fix a snapped board.
Owoooooooo!!

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:34 am

Very nice.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:09 pm

Haoleboy wrote:Nice work indeed!
A break like that...will it be semi-solid with that repair? I always wondered about trying to fix a snapped board.

Thanks Bud, PRS, HB. I think that it should hold up well on the SS. The gap was filled with PU pour foam which is exactly the same stuff a blank is made from. The stringer was reinforced with 2 extra pieces of wood on both sides. Glued up flush to the stringer with epoxy. I glassed it 4x4 top and bottom lapping it as wide as the cloth would allow me. So it should have a solid 16 oz of glass lapping the rails. I airbrushed the bottom to try to hide the break mark. It was my first time airbrushing and color matching so it looks a bit shitty Here's a pic of it hotcoated and sanded.

I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

red

Postby red » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Damn Rocky you got some skills. Sweet!

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:20 pm

red wrote:Damn Rocky you got some skills. Sweet!

Thanks
I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

fabian

Postby fabian » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:35 pm

rocky,
Where did you get that liquid foam thing? As you can see I got to put my wife's fav LB together before she gets back from japan. I was thinking of putting some cloth on one side, let it harden, then pour that thing in. Any helpful hints on putting this together? Eh bud make sure u keep it quiet on this one, hah.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:51 pm

fabian wrote:rocky,
Where did you get that liquid foam thing? As you can see I got to put my wife's fav LB together before she gets back from japan. I was thinking of putting some cloth on one side, let it harden, then pour that thing in. Any helpful hints on putting this together? Eh bud make sure u keep it quiet on this one, hah.

Oh boy, I smell.......

B L A C K M A I L!

Just jiving ya bro.

:wink:
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:24 pm

fabian wrote:rocky,

Fiberglass Hawaii has P.U. pour foam. It comes in two parts, A and B. You use about 55% Part A to 45% Part B.Mix it up until it becomes a smooth consistent color and then pour into the voids between the foam a little goes a long way.If you don't mix it right it will just be a nasty sticky goo that never hardens. If you mix it up too much it will start foaming up real quickly. If you refrigerize it it will react a lot slower giving you more time. It expands about 10X. After you pour it you want to apply pressure with some saran wrap to make sure the foam is more compressed and stronger. All of that is after you get the rocker and rails lined up as best as possible. And the expanding pour foam is a good way to screw that up unless you have a good bond to those pieces. the pour foam is brown too so you might want to put some q-cell over that as well.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:05 am

rocky,

oweee! karma comes back to haunt the burnmaster 3000! 8)

lol, just put a hello kitty sticker over the hole, maybe she won't notice. that pour foam stuff is pricey! they have it at fiberglass hawaii

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:24 am

Fabian, honestly a repair like that I suggest you take it to a pro you are just going to screw it up if you're experimenting and on a learning curve. Your wife will kill you if you dont fix that right.
I recomend you take it to Ding King they do amazing work, the guy to ask for is Ben, let him know that Lance from Puerto Rico sent ya.
Though all the guys that work there are great. Post the picts once you get the board fixed.
Here is the directions coming from Waikiki:
Take Ala moana west. Turn right on Ward ave. Turn left on Queen street (by the American savings Bank). Turn right on to Kamani street (its a small alley street). Go about a block and a half until you see the surfboards on the right side of the street. That's the shop. Right across from Diamond Head sprinkler.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

red

Postby red » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:24 am

That pour foam stuff is highly toxic and super difficult to work with from my understanding. Best take it to the previously mentioned pro. I think they are discounting their services if you gets it done before x-mas.

fabian

Postby fabian » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:48 pm

i think i'm gonna do it myself. it's a second break already. and it's for the wife anyways. i got it all lined up and stuff just gotta sand em, pour, then glass em. thanks all don't know if I'll make though cause the wife is coming back sun.

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:21 pm

Puerto_Rico_Surfer wrote: the guy to ask for is Ben, let him know that Lance from Puerto Rico sent ya.

:lol:

Or you could just call him direct. 782-6032.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:53 am

aLRIGHT Fabian, but when the job is finished you must post pictures so we can review the work. :)

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”