board painting?

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
7fiveS7vensurfer

board painting?

Postby 7fiveS7vensurfer » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:38 pm

i dont like having a plain white or off white board like everyone else, i borrowed my friends board, its tiger striped and it may sound gay but is sick. so when i do get a board( i never knew they where so expensive, but hey thats why my friends are for, they sell stuff for cheap!) and a girl ive known for a while is taking over her dads buisness of painting and repairing boards, and want to know, should i get her to do it? and what do you think i should get?
just started to surf not to good, but not bad, dont give me sh*t on my opions and i wont do that to you

Rocky Rockbottom

Re: board painting?

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:32 pm

7fiveS7vensurfer wrote:and what do you think i should get?

A pink longboard with purple veins and a soldier's helmet where you will be trying to hang ten.

7fiveS7vensurfer

Postby 7fiveS7vensurfer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:37 am

thats a good idea, but im going with skulls all over my board with a purple haze surrounding it, and where my foot goes have a skull look like its eating my foot, its gonna be gnar
just started to surf not to good, but not bad, dont give me sh*t on my opions and i wont do that to you

magoo

Postby magoo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 am

Hey heres my new custom i got last week. Thought it might
give you another design to think about.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:13 pm

Rock I really want to believe he got it, but I don't think he understood the purple "rambo". SAD...the state of todays youth. At least when he's paddling he can look the snake in the eye.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:28 pm

Puerto_Rico_Surfer wrote:Rock I really want to believe he got it, but I don't think he understood the purple "rambo". SAD...the state of todays youth. At least when he's paddling he can look the snake in the eye.

Should I just spell it out for him then? Here's a "redesigned" skateboard for those virginia beach summer days.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/s ... ldick2.jpg

Don't worry all of my designs are for sale at a discounted rate for wavelust members!

7fiveS7vensurfer

Postby 7fiveS7vensurfer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:01 pm

haha wow, just becuase i dont live in oahu, doesnt mean i cant admire waves, sure i may never experince the waves there, but aleast im interacting with your surf community. rocky, thanks for the link for the skateboards, but i think im good, with about half a dozen longboards, and a good number of short ones, i dont need one. heres the pics of my board, for those that do care

kimo

Postby kimo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:28 pm

skulls on surfboards must be in these days!! halloween time im scared!

red

Postby red » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:30 pm

I was just reading on swaylocks.com about spraying under the hotcoat vs. on the foam. I know you can always do something with markers or krylon and stencils on a finished board and then hit it up with a few layers of acrylic to keep it from washing off. If you're shaping it yourself and spraying on the foam remember to tape off the stringer (don't paint it) so there will be a solid bond.

Just remember when you go on swaylocks always do a previous topic search before you ask stupid questions. They get really pissy about that stuff.

red

Postby red » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:36 pm

red

Postby red » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:38 pm

Here are five easy steps to turn your surfboard into a piece of surf art. Or an easy way to turn that old classic sun brunt brown board into a new cool looking stick. This is the same way the pros at lost surfboards or spyder surfboards set up for their amazing art boards.

Step1: Materials
make sure you get the right items for the job. Some colorful spray paint, low tack masking tape, a xacto knife, and a bottle of clear acrylic sealant. The low tack masking tape works the best, it may cost a little more, but when you are peeling it off your board it won't rip or tare. It is always best to do your art on a new surfboard that is clean from wax and grease. But if it's an old longboard or short board just take your time cleaning it up. Once all the wax is removed use some wax remover or paint thinner to get the board as clean as possible.

Step2: Your custom design planning
think big!!!!! You have to think big because a small design wont show up. Try to be original and spend some time on your design. Remember this piece of surf art will be an extension of yourself on your surfboard.

Step3: Taping and cutting your design
tape the surfboard from rail to rail all the way across the board. Make sure to overlap the tape on top of itself about ¼" inch with each piece of tape. This will keep other areas of your surfboard clean from paint. Once you design is decided upon, draw it on top of the tap in the area of the surfboard that you think will look the best. Then you will cut the design out with the xacto knife. But make sure not to press to hard because you do not want to cut into the glass on your surfboard. Once you cut out the design peel off the excess tape from were you want the paint to go. Leaving the protective tape on to keep paint of the rest of your surfboard.

Step4: Painting
cover up the rest of the board that you do not want over spray paint to get on with newspaper. Using a light coat of paint, you can spray over the tape. Try to let the colors or layers dry before you move onto the next color. Allow this area to dry before you add any more colors. Remember heavy coats of paints will only make a mess. Try to spray your board with about a foot of distance between the spray paint and the surfboard. The design will look great once you the extra tape is peeled off.

Step5: The clear coat
once the extra tape is peeled off and the design is finished you will need to apply the clear coat. The clear coat will protect your design from being peeled off. It should take about 2 to 3 lawyer of clear coat. When the clear coat is dried it is time to go surfing.

So get creative and try to remember if you mess up all you have to do is retape and spray a new design.

Fred Riehl has been surfing and working with Brave New World surf shops for 18+ years!

The Tube Quest Continues at ... http://www.bravesurf.com

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:33 pm

surfboards are for surfing as paper is to drawing.

art is fun :idea:

7fiveS7vensurfer

Postby 7fiveS7vensurfer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:48 am

thanks for the tips red, i didnt do the board myself, and i didnt think of the idea either, my neighbor thought and painted it for me, im going to hit it with another coat of acrylic so it doesnt scratch off( theres already some from me putting it in my 4runner!)

Bretto41

board sprays

Postby Bretto41 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:00 am

check thishttp://www.feraldave.com/DVStand.htm
then go to graphics and sprays.

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Before

After

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”