Surf Shorts

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Surf Shorts

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:13 pm

Just the other day I was watching a surf video (ULU32: 32 Years Surfing Indonesia) and they were showing some vintage footage of the late 70's and early 80's of people like Gerry Lopez and other indo surf pioneers.

Anyway what ever happened to the surf shorts of that era? I mean I miss the shorts that ended on the mid thigh--now whenever I go to a surf shop all the "shorts" are more like "baggy half pants" ending at the knee. They drag so much water. Yeah ya get used to it, but if you take a pair these long shorts and then cut them back to mid thigh you really notice the difference. Also what genius decided to move the wax pocket to the side from the back?

Am I the only one that feels this way?

And does anyone know of any companies that sell these old style shorts.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:52 pm

I'll pass. I think that there are a few Donnovan Frankenfurter impersonates around if you look hard enough.
I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:16 pm

Those are too short, I'll pass on the hotpants also.

I was talking more something like this length.Image
Last edited by Puerto_Rico_Surfer on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Puerto_Rico_Surfer wrote:Im not talking bout hotpants...

Here's what you may want.

http://www.birdwellbeachbritches.com/
I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:42 pm

Thanks rocky I think I will find what Im looking for on that website.

omar_P

Postby omar_P » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 am

you might want to check out surfline hawaii.... the makers of JAMS

they have an 80's line which has those short magnum pi styled board shorts in nostalgic prints...

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:14 am

as someone who surfed the short shorts era
Thats me around 1981-82 with 'stretchy' Quiksilvers and early Cino M. thruster
(Jeff Divine Photo)

and into the rebirth of the baggies around 1981, there are clear valid benefit to long shorts - rash protection of inner thigh, front thigh & knee area. you need to keep the rails waxed at the hip to help keep the board from slipping out from between your legs when sitting. riding shortboards your feet tend to hang off past the tail putting your upper thighs/knees against the board more often

though recently I have noticed the shorts styles getting overly long and baggy, conforming more to some kind of fashion sickness rather than function :roll:

red

Postby red » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:20 am

Wowsers....I wasn't even sponging back then. I was probably watching inspector gadget or filling out SRA's that day. Come to think of it I didn't get my first skateboard until 1983 (Back to the Future model Valtera).

olly

Postby olly » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:32 am

buddy that photo's classic. could be you at rockies last week if not for the shorts... but did they screw you on your name ??
i was three when that pick was taken :wink:

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:49 am

Surfer Mag sometime in 1996, one of those "Guest Editors" articles with Sunny Garcia. yes he gave the wrong name for the surfer in that pic, the guy named is Randy Ferriman, a friend from the time who I was mistaken for & vice versa. I can't complain though I was named correctly in another pic on the same page, so in effect i got two shots in the same article. the other pic

Jeff Divine Photo

Funny thing, I ran into the Randy & Stewart Ferriman (The brothers metioned in the first pic) surfing Lanis the other day ... First time in probably 20 years!

red

Postby red » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:52 am

It's not fair! I look ten years older than you now.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:55 am

short shorts from the very first "New Hot 100" Surfer mag article way back in 1981 or 1982

red

Postby red » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:04 pm

Hip Hop? Is that like a Tic-Tac or something?

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:36 pm

though recently I have noticed the shorts styles getting overly long and baggy, conforming more to some kind of fashion sickness rather than function

My sentiments also.

Yeah I forgot about the inner thigh wax rash and the hairs getting tangled, but still the length of the shorts nowadays, cmon give me a break I'll take the rash instead of dragging the ocean.

Funny I never expected this thread to generate this much "action".

By the way everyone what is your take on the pocket location. Side or Back which do you prefer?

CUinHELL

retro?

Postby CUinHELL » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:06 pm

Sorry to dredge up a old thread, but look whats coming back.

http://www.swell.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=189

ImageImageImage :?:

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”