Something possibly more important?

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
HMARK

Something possibly more important?

Postby HMARK » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:58 pm

Aloha my brothers & sisters.

Sorry if this post offends ANY one. I have been looking at the surfing life and wondering if anyone else feels like this about what it is that surfing GIVES us.

Not to be a religious preacher, crazy, or pusher, I was kinda wondering how many of us dip saltwater H20 and 'sign da cross' before a go out?

Not saying good or bad, just curious.

I do.

I do not think I do it out of a deep religious belief but more out of respect to what i may face. I ask for protection, to let (whatevea is bigger than me) grant me the chance to see my childrens eyes and hold my wife after surf. I got a habit of saying Mahalos after surf and throwing some H20 out and saying for the boys who arent here, my gram & gramps, and couple others that i've lost over time.

No criticisim of anyones opinions on the subject will come from I. Just really curious how deep a connection I feel I have with mama ocean.

* and Haoleboy, wives are the greatest inspiration to surf you can ever have, bro, best to you and your bride. S E R I O U S L Y.

No playground jokes. :lol:

Peace to you all.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:26 am

As I am entering the water I usually pause for a second kneel down and dip my hand in the water and make the sign of the cross. And I ask for a sae surf session. Funny thing is I am not deeply religious, but the act feels like when your entering a religous area whether it be a Christian church, Buhddist Temple, Hindu place of worship etc. doesnt matter if your of that religion you still feel awe and give respect.

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:11 am

Mahalo fer the kind words Bruddah HMark! Couldn't agree more, my lady is wonderful, and allows for plany surf and playground time. :D

I usually say out loud to the water and sky, "protect me while I surf.." Don't know exactly who I'm talking to; maybe my ancestors, God, or the fates; but as I enter into the fray, I know I'm not alone.
Think I'll adopt your exit stratagy as well...I like that.

Aloha my friends!
Owoooooooo!!

maleko

Postby maleko » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:50 am

I also make the sign of the cross. i always pray b4 I begin to paddle out. Hopefully he /she hears me and watches over me.
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:52 am

Im jewsih if I did that my horns would fall off.

solar

Postby solar » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:57 am

congrats to haole boy and his bride to be. there is hardly anything i can think of better than to be married.

sign of the cross before entering the water, always... been that way since '69. mostly, i admit, it's out of habit. but i DO meditate/pray/think about all the blessings we receive free, for nothing, and how fast things can go wrong out there. i do believe in a higher power, the highest. i ask you this, how can things be so perfect at times??? there HAS to be a higher power steering things... carl sagan and steven hawkings often used to say,"If you believe the universe is an accident, and not intentional, how can there be so much order in the cosmos?"

things have happened in my life that leads me to KNOW there is a higher power. his/her name is Yahweh, Jehovah, Jah, Jesus, El Shaddai, but foremost, "GOD IS LOVE".

THIS IS WHO/WHAT SOLO WORSHIPS. LOVE.

if you canNOT feel it when you're surfing, or doing anything else for that matter, then don't do it. anything undertaken without love is a waste of time...

i REJECT satan/evil. and all his works and lies...

i'm SERIOUS.

solos

Postby solos » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:17 am

a little more on the subject:

having had a whole bunch of experience studying the religions of the west and east, i've come to a couple of my own independent conclusions.

th3e first of that being, god doesn't live in a man made constructed building. after all, where is his creation? the great outdoors. he MADE the earth, and in it's natural environment is where i feel him most. i just cannot feel him in a church, synagogue, temple, or any other man made building... all i feel in those buildings is the rules and laws of MEN, NOT GOD.

didn't jesus do much of his preaching outdoors? mohamed? buddha?

yes, the ocean is my church, where i can feel at peace. during those days when the crowd disrupts that peace, i don't surf. occasionally, the evil one tends to work the lineup... that's when i leave.

the ocean is my church, the beach is my alter, and the waves beat to the rythm of god's heart... the soul of the world can be felt only when you're outside...

HMARK

Nice wordz

Postby HMARK » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:24 am

Nice touch solo.

I always liked Tom Blakes asessment of religion - " The blessed church of the open sky"...

Always thought that was a kinda cool quote from an innaressing guy.

Watch out for flying objects next couple days ( ahhhh wind swell, I am in heaven...)
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”