Honolulu Academy's Surf into August Film Series

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
goro

Honolulu Academy's Surf into August Film Series

Postby goro » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:24 pm

here's the verbage from the flyer...

SUMMER CINEMA SURF SAFARI: KOWABUNGA!

Chinatown Boardroom owners Jackie and Eric Walden and Doris Duke Theatre staff member Michael Boe selected some of the best surf movies ever made for this cinematic wave session. Take a look back at the people who created the surf lifestyle and spirit in Hawai‘i, California, Australia, and other surf capitals. The dynamic surf sequences will have you on the edge of your seat. You’ll also see the sport as a meditative art form and a way to get back to nature. Whichever way you experience surfing, gonzo or soulful, this series will inspire you to get out your board and ride.

WAIKIKI: RIDING THE WAVES OF CHANGE
Directors/Producers: Caroline Yacoe, Eric Jordan, Judy Athans
USA, 2007, 53 mins.
See candid glimpses of the beach today and listen to the beach boys’ hopes for the future. Co-produced by Judy Athans and Franny Palama.

• Monday, August 25 at 7:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, August 26 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, August 27 at 1 p.m.

Caroline Yacoe, producer and director, Judy Athens, co-producer, will introduce the film and be available afterwards for a q&a.

FIVE SUMMER STORIES
Directors: Jim Freeman and Greg MacGillivray
USA, 1972, 89 mins.
This seminal surf movie is an early-1970s time capsule. (Who remembers seeing it at the Kaimuki Theatre?).

• Wednesday, August 27 at 7:30 p.m.
• Thursday, August 28, Friday, August 29 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Legendary surfer Randy Rarick will introduce the film and be available for a q&a after the screening.

ONE CALIFORNIA DAY
Directors: Jason Baffa and Mark Jeremias
USA, 2007, 96 mins.
One California Day is a visual journey through six distinct coastal regions, capturing the California surfing experience through the surfers who live it.
• Sunday, August 31, Tuesday, September 2, Wednesday, September 3 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

ULTIMATE SESSION: THE GREATEST MOMENTS IN SURF MOVIE HISTORY
Director: Ira Opper
USA, 2006, 45 mins.
Director Ira Opper and writer Matt Warshaw sifted through three decades worth of epic surf films to bring you a no-filler blend of eye-opening surf action, surf culture and humor.
• Thursday, September 4, Friday, September 5, Saturday, September 6 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

SINGLEFIN: YELLOW
Directors: Jason Baffa and Mark Jeremias
USA, Australia, Mexico, Japan, 2005, 110 mins.
Six surfers, six stories, one board. In the vein of The Endless Summer, director Jason Baffa follows a single surfboard across the globe,to explore the cultural proclivities and personal affinities of those who comprise the surfing community.
• Sunday, September 7 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
• Monday, September 8 at 7:30 p.m
• Tuesday, September 9 at 1 p.m.
*Celebrated longboard surfer Bonga Perkins will introduce the film and be available for a q&a following the screening.

SURFING FOR LIFE
Director: David L. Brown
USA, 1999, 72 mins.
The film is also a fascinating history of surfing.
• Tuesday, September 9 at 7:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, September 10 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Fred Van Dyke, the legendary pioneer of big wave surfing, will introduce the film and be available for a q&a following the screening.

SUPER SESSION
Director: Hal Jepsen
USA, 1975, 81 mins.
The best surfing of the 1970s filmed in Hawai‘i, California, and Australia. This is fast-paced, action-packed, breathtaking surfing. Starring local heroes Larry Bertlemann, Gerry Lopez, Barry Kanaiaupuni, and Jeff Hakman.
• Friday, September 12, Sunday, September 14 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Ben Aipa, acclaimed progressive shortboard designer and owner of Ben Aipa Surfboards, will introduce the film and be available for a q&a following the screening.

red

Re: Honolulu Academy's Surf into August Film Series

Postby red » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Nice line up!

olly

Postby olly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:03 am

watched 'Sliding Liberia' at Haleiwa cafe on saturday. amazing film, must have been quite an experience for those guys.
http://www.slidingliberia.com/

goro

Postby goro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 pm

guess shaun tomson and mr are gonna be here for their movie, bustin down the door:

http://www.screenmediafilms.net/theatri ... ustin.html

goro

Aloha Bud Browne

Postby goro » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 am

His ashes are gonna be scattered at pipe in August:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 4242.story

starbolt

Postby starbolt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:44 am

Thanks for the heads-up about the film line-up. Yup, Kaimuki Theater and surf films in general. I get chicken skin remembering everybody inside the theater hooting and cheering. Blue Horizon at the Blaisdell a few years ago was a little like that all over again. Watching DVDs at home is good, but not the same.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:37 pm

get choke old school surf films at the Library . $ 1 for 10 days.

wahiwa Library has a serious collection, modern flicks too.

Surfing For Life ! the Doc Ball commentary and some of these old timers will make you cry. in a good happy ol way
some cool interviews from John Kelly.

id like to see 5 summer stories on the screen and relive what every one talks about " the hoots"

Blue Horizon at the blaisdell was beautiful experience especially the chopes part, holy cow !!!

starbolt

Postby starbolt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm

I'll have to check Wahiawa Library now, but I might not be heading that way for a few more months unless there's an early country swell. :P

Saw Bustin' Down the Door at the Cannery and enjoyed it. Dragged my kids with me, but there wasn't enough surf action and it was before their time for them to fully appreciate. Lots of poignant interviews with MR, Rabbit, and Shaun Tomson and footage of them surfing single fin lightning bolts. I wasn't aware of most of the story they described, of arriving on the north shore, winning everything, and then making waves with the Hawaiians in the mid 70s. How Eddie Aikau stepped in and maybe saved some of their lives from getting killed, literally. Slow moving film in general, but glad I saw it.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:18 am

is it worth the go ?

starbolt

Postby starbolt » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:58 pm

I recommend it if you want some insight into how surfing would eventually become a professional "sport" in the sense of a circuit and a world champ being crowned. Or if you want to see lots of MR, Shaun, and Rabbit ripping Off the Wall, Pipe, and Waimea. And these guys spill their guts in the interviews. It's a documentary. Good movie, but not an action film. You're not going to walk out of the theater amped to go surfing.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:42 pm

was on my way to the movie and was sidetrack to a quick turn into waipahu because the H 1 was a parking lot.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”