Affecting your surfing?

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Selke

Affecting your surfing?

Postby Selke » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:00 am

I read a couple of months back in a book that, like yoga, if you've recently done something bad towards somebody or if you've something bothering you that it affects the way you surf or with yoga that you simply can't meditate.

I don't do yoga, so I wouldn't know anything about that! (the author feels that yoga and surfing are on the same level, which I could imagine) but with surfing I think it's definitely true, and had thought so before reading it. -In the book it stated that if you dropped in on someone, was violent towards another surfer etc. that it effects your conscience to an extent where you don't surf to your full ability.

I recently had a falling out with my sister, and I never fall out with people -if I do, it doesn't last long but this has gone on for months without either of us speaking to each other. Which really, really bothers me. My best surf ever was a couple of months back -before all that and I've never been that good since. It was a weekend where I went up the country to a break I'd never surfed before -totally clear head and mind.

Maybe it's just in the head, that I'm conscious of it and I'm actually LETTING it affect me - that's most likely it!
Either way I think it might be a good thing cuz it's bothering me so much that I need to clear my conscience and made the effort to phone her tonight.

Sorry for rambling :oops: ....I was just wondering do the rest of you find that stuff like this has that affect on your surfing? It's bloody annoying!

HMARK

Works both ways

Postby HMARK » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:28 am

Howzit Selke-

I think you got it right it does affect your surfing in negative ways ( providing you own a conscience ) I have had very few run ins in the water, but most definitely when they did occur, they ruined the session. Absolutely just trashed it. Weather I was right or wrong, the negative aspect crushed the whole go out. Bullshit that is happening outside of surfing tends to run either way - it is a needed refresher for the mind and soul, or just cant seem to figger out how the hell to surf at all, period.
Positive actions before, during, or after a surf seem to set the mood for the day/week/whatevers - Kinda like a carry-over action. The good vibes seem to keep busting out all over. The negative ones seem to subside pretty quickly, but do concern me when they hang around to long. I guess I am lucky to be an optimist ( kinda ) and tend to see the glass half-full rather than half-empty. ( Unless its BEER, and then it is ALWAYS empty.....)

Aloha & Peace!
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Selke

Re: Works both ways

Postby Selke » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:42 pm

HMARK wrote:Howzit Selke-

I think you got it right it does affect your surfing in negative ways ( providing you own a conscience ) I have had very few run ins in the water, but most definitely when they did occur, they ruined the session. Absolutely just trashed it. Weather I was right or wrong, the negative aspect crushed the whole go out. Bullshit that is happening outside of surfing tends to run either way - it is a needed refresher for the mind and soul, or just cant seem to figger out how the hell to surf at all, period.
Positive actions before, during, or after a surf seem to set the mood for the day/week/whatevers - Kinda like a carry-over action. The good vibes seem to keep busting out all over. The negative ones seem to subside pretty quickly, but do concern me when they hang around to long. I guess I am lucky to be an optimist ( kinda ) and tend to see the glass half-full rather than half-empty. ( Unless its BEER, and then it is ALWAYS empty.....)

Aloha & Peace!

Yeah, it depends if you've a conscience to begin with alright. I'd kinda love to be one of these people who isn't easily effected by this kinda thing!

Surfing is a brilliant escape from a bad day at work etc. -it instantly improves my mood.

I'm a total optimist aswell, but with this I guess it's to do with the fact that I've never really fallen out with someone like this before, especially family. Without getting into it, it's not my place to be doing the 'mending' but it's worse to not be talking to someone for so long and having that hanging above you...it's stupid...especially if it's interferring with my surfing. :lol:

It's good in a way though... Someone in another magazine said that 'surfing has made her a better person'. You can kinda see how!

God I'm starting to sound like Oprah :? :shock:

maleko

Postby maleko » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:01 pm

i do some yoga about 3 days per week for about an hour or so. i do not practice meditation. i concentrate on just breathing while doing the poses. i found that yoga has made me less stressed >::] or not stressed at all. i also have perfect posture now. they say yoga trains you for stressful conditions. (ie. when i see a 20ft wave about to close out on me as i'm paddlin', i don't scream OH SHIT! anymore, i say it in my head now

as for surfing, i go out with an attitude of "if i catch one wave i'll be happy." i found that the low expectations keep me in a good mood and i usually catch way more than just a wave. i also go out with 100% commitment attitude. i paddle hard and "do somethin'"on the waves, instead of just going straight. if in doubt don't go out & surf like you're being watched.( i put do something in quotes because that's what everybody yells out hea if you not)

i'm drunk.
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”