Links - Local Surf Reports, Forecasts, Buoys etc.

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
s9j

Postby s9j » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:19 pm

yo bobby, I may have jumped the gun, even if its mine I cant find it exactly either, sorry man

sloan

Postby sloan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:32 am

I chanced across this site while surfing the net. It's got a slick interface, with easy viewing of all the data garnered from the NOAA Wavewatch III model output.

- schlumpf

http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/swell ... ?CatId=839

olly

Postby olly » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:43 am

Buoy's..

808 973-6114

the only surf report i use. gives you up to date winds, Buoy 1 and Waimea buoy. don't need nothin' else. i must call this thing 4 times a day.
(this doesn't stop me from obsessing over wetsand, Pat's forecast and surfline :) )

olly

Postby olly » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:44 am

megaprober wrote: i've always wondered how long it takes pat to do a forecast. with research and writing time the process is 3hrs.

...mega, pat reckons 30 minutes to look at the charts, 30 minutes chatting with the met. fella's and 30 minutes writeup for his forecast.

:D

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:01 pm

dammit you guys need to check the list!!! The wetsand link and the buoy phone number(s) have been up for years n years already ;flame;

sloan

Postby sloan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:45 am

dammit you guys need to check the list!!! The wetsand link and the buoy phone number(s) have been up for years n years already

Oh yeah... how 'bout that. My bad. Guess I'm a post first ask questions later type of guy. !-! Sorry Mr. Overlord, Sir !-! Won't happen again. :D

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:49 am

sloan wrote:Oh yeah... how 'bout that. My bad. Guess I'm a post first ask questions later type of guy. !-! Sorry Mr. Overlord, Sir !-! Won't happen again. :D

Ok, as long as you know your place, I'll let it slide this time :twisted:

goro

surf forecast

Postby goro » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:03 pm

olly wrote:
megaprober wrote: i've always wondered how long it takes pat to do a forecast. with research and writing time the process is 3hrs.

...mega, pat reckons 30 minutes to look at the charts, 30 minutes chatting with the met. fella's and 30 minutes writeup for his forecast.

:D

can someone please tell me why jerome aucan stopped filling in for pat when he was away?

jerome

Pat caldwell

Postby jerome » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:07 pm

I stopped doing it when Pat Caldwell's page moved from being a semi informal website on the university webserver to an official NWS webpage. I am just a graduate student (I m also finished), and the "caretaker" of the waimea and kailua buoy. Not good enough for NWS.

By the way, the buoy website (http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/~buoy) is constantly upgraded with new products, you just have to scroll down the frame on the left. I had local tide charts, and 7 days forecasts for specific Oahu locations

Aloha

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:00 pm

check out http://www.wavewatch.com

the wavewatch.com cams are nice, you can view kammies, monster mush, rp, ehukai, and otw, from new angles surfline doesn't have.

I guess one is from jamie o's house.

jerome

surf media war of the giants

Postby jerome » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:59 pm

On one side :
-AOL Time warner with Transworld surf, (+transworld skate, snowboard etc...) and surfline.com
On the other side :
-Primedia with Surfer, Surfing and Surfing Girl magasines, and wavewatch.com

No matter who wins,it shows you how much the surf industry is $$$

olly

Postby olly » Thu May 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Here's a link you might like
real-time data from a platform i helped some of the Ocean eng. guys put out off Kewalo's
gives significant wave height, direction and a million other things.
updated every 20 minutes. sorry wave heights are in metres :?
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/OE/kilonalu/

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu May 05, 2005 8:46 pm

where is wave height on there olly ?
whats the abbreviation ??????

olly

Postby olly » Fri May 06, 2005 9:46 am

oh yeah, good point
click on real-time data
that gives you a summary and some graphs if you scroll down.
H_sig is the significant wave height. this is just the average of the highest 1/3 waves. Zero crossing or spectoral is the method with which they calculate the wave height. The pressure sensor simply measures the weight of water above it. under a peak, there will be more water, under a trough, less. the zero crossing method takes the average of the two as the mean sea surface (zero height) and calculates wave height from every time this average is 'crossed'

however i was thinking about this yesterday. during south swells, the frequency (or period) is often very narrow, due to the distance the waves have travelled. This is why south shore swells seem more inconsistent than north. the more spread in the wave frequencies, the more consistent the surf.
however this inconsistancy might be screwing up the wave averaging.
If in 30 minutes there are only a few large sets (say 5'), and the rest small (say 2') then the average of even the top 1/3 waves is still going to be underestimating the wave that we (as surfers) are interested in.

Sorry about the babble. to actually answer your question H_sig (zero crossing) should give you wave height. although it looks too small to me, hence my rambling...

timo

Postby timo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:11 pm

i've found http://www.magicseaweed.com to be a quite good resorce for us brits. they have started covering other countries as well now so might be worth a look.

tim

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”