help this surfing snowboarder

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
sunhook

help this surfing snowboarder

Postby sunhook » Sun May 11, 2008 4:02 am

ok Ive been in Bali now for 5 months just started to learn surfing when i got here, after 2 months broke my rib in a wave, 2 months out and now just getting back into it..suk! anyway I can get up can kinda surf as I used to make a living snowboarding....Ive just bought a new board MIke WOO chose for me...its a 63' ,18.5, 2.375, I weigh 72 to75 kilos about 5'9tall..........been surfing a 6'4 20 wide fish before this....do youguys think its a good size for me? did i bite of more than i can chew? also im hearing different things how long should i wait for a board to cure after glassing before i can take her out? thanks, peace

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Re: help this surfing snowboarder

Postby Bud » Mon May 12, 2008 9:14 am

surfing is 90% paddling and learning to read the waves/ocean so your snowboarding skills won't be much help.

if you want to be a shortboarder & have the means to get into rideable surf every day, with commitment and determination you will learn to surf on the shortboard. it will take longer to get to the standup &turn level but you will have developed way better wave reading skills and progress much much faster from that point on.

if you cannot surf everyday go with the airplane wing and you be stink buggin the knee slappers in no time, but you'll be at that level for a long time.

sunhook

Postby sunhook » Tue May 13, 2008 3:53 am

well bud I can stand up and turn, track the wave and pump my turns for speed, so yeah snowboarding helps heaps. youare right its 90% paddling and ocean wisdom whichtakes time, but once im up well its a lot like riding a moving heaving mountain....anyway i took the 63 out today and man oh man its sweet, it was about 4 ft and i had to paddle like fuck to get a wave but man once i was up ..shes fast and twitchy and responsive like a snowboard.. so i guess i answered my own question today, yeah i live here now i surf everyday so im sure there will be more questions going your way..thanks for your time.peace

olly

Postby olly » Tue May 13, 2008 8:58 am

don't suppose that 6'3 has 'for Oliver' written on the bottom and a tapa cloth design drawn on? someone stole mine a while back >::]

sunhook

Postby sunhook » Thu May 15, 2008 4:29 am

no bro I got it from mike freshly shaped, just had it glassed last week, sorry bout your stolen board i like the idea of the tapa design though.....good luck.

digitalsmear

Postby digitalsmear » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:13 pm

What skills as a snowboarder do you think transfer to surfing?

I'm an AASI Lv2 Cert Snowboard Instructor... I shred the snow, bomb full speed through trees and can do cork-5's off good size moguls, never mind in the park... I think surfing is completely different. Snowboards are driven with your front leg, surf boards are driven with the back leg. Other than balance, what skills have you transferred to waves? Do the motions of dynamic carves translate well into surfing?

I'm not flaming, I really am curious. I'm pretty new... I've been riding a 7'10" fun board for a little while while and I rode a 6'2" shorty today for the first time. It was just for a couple waves, belonged to a guy I was talking to in the line-up. I got up fine on both waves and was able to pump it and turn both ways, albeit a little squirrely.

Anyway.. the point is, now I'm confident that I've built enough skills on the mini-mal that I'm ready for a short board, now I'm just wondering if, thinking I will be able to grow into a middle-intermediate/advanced shortboard comfortably is logical... or if I should aim for something a little more fish-y and take it in stride... If you have any solid input on snow-to-surf skills, it would help me make up my mind.

Cheers

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:38 am

b+b
Last edited by LGREANZ on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goro

Postby goro » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:16 pm

:!: ....
Last edited by goro on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 am

c'mon wheres the sense of humor. ? surfing should be all about joking.
taking it too serious ruins the entire core of the thing.

whens the last time someone cracked a frigin joke around here.
or seen a 90 yo man with a shortboard flipping the bird.

>::]

starbolt

Postby starbolt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm

well, the first time i looked at this picture, i bust out laughing. plus i think i know where in mililani this is, though i can't read the street sign. But yeah, sometimes hard to get sarcasm, etc across the computer screen.

i still think this pic is hilarious!

goro

Postby goro » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:46 pm

LGREANZ wrote:c'mon wheres the sense of humor. ? surfing should be all about joking.
taking it too serious ruins the entire core of the thing.

whens the last time someone cracked a frigin joke around here.
or seen a 90 yo man with a shortboard flipping the bird.

>::]

1) the picture had nothing to do with the topic...and it doesn't follow the forum rules...
2) i've spent some time on the east coast w/ youz wise guyz...yeah your jokes are funny like tripping old men on the side walk...or making fun of blacks and other minorities...
3) we got a similar funny thing out here called "kill haole day"...maybe we should introduce this joking event out to the surf break? when we do, let me know where you're surfing so i can make sure you're in on the joke...
4) ahhh, just joking so don't take it too seriously...

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:05 pm

goro wrote: 3) we got a similar funny thing out here called "kill haole day"... ..

Hey I remember that day as a Sophmore at Roooosevelt H.S....seems like it was Mon-Fri. as I recall... :D
Owoooooooo!!

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm

i'm just a small fry in a baked potato world.

i went to school with metal detectors and homicides.

when people drop in on me in the lineup i just go around them.

the guy in the picture is a Haleiwa Local when it was a swamp.
his high school yearbook is a multicultural rainbow of peace.

he built his own surfboards from Poular Mechanics magazine, and his own home from
a demolition job at Schofield Barracks.

i asked him to throw me a shaka and he gave me the finger instead

classic !!!

the internet is a false reality.

sorry if i offended anyone.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:04 pm

>::] !-!

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”