Shortboard maneurvability vs width - Please advice

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
j2002

Shortboard maneurvability vs width - Please advice

Postby j2002 » Sun May 11, 2008 2:35 am

hi Bud,

I have posted this before. I believe you might have deleted it due to repeating posting. I wasn't aware that it requires approval from the forum admin before it will be visible to other forum users. I apologize for that.

I really hope to get some advice on this matter from you or any other experience surfers out there.
I have just custom ordered a board (6'2 x 18'3/4 x 2'1/4) a few days ago. I was struggling to make up my mind on the width of the board.
I actually wanted it to be 18'1/2 but settle with 18'3/4 at the end with more volume/stability in consideration. I just wonder how much difference it will make in terms of maneuvrability if it was shaped 18'1/2 instead of 18'3/4.

Any kind of advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Re: Shortboard maneurvability vs width - Please advice

Postby Bud » Mon May 12, 2008 9:27 am

first need to know how tall/heavy you are and an honest assessment of your skill. even then still very subjective and a thousand variables in play

on average ability and assuming a generic shortboard sized right, you'll probably see more performance from the type of fin setup, fin placement and a lightweight board, than a 1/4 inch difference in width

if you're asking about 'stability' within a 1/4 inch difference in width, to be honest I don't think you're at the stage where you'll notice any difference in maneuverability.

if you're beyond the beginner stages ordering a custom and communicating with a knowledgeable shaper is a great step in the right direction

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 am

1/2 wont make that much dif in manuverablity.

I think it plays more in the part of paddling and wave catching.

I like my sticks a bit wider, but when they are narrow I find its harder to catch da waves,
and maybe miss that one you've been waiting all session for.

j2002

Postby j2002 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:30 am

Thanks guys for the advice / opinion. Appreciate it.
I tried it out today and it was ok. I guess I shouldn't be worrying about it.
Just focus on surfing more instead.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”