shaping

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
olly

shaping

Postby olly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:02 am

any of you guys tried any shaping/glassing?
I've just finished shaping my first board and am about to start the glassing process. it's been great and so far i'm stoked with it but it's taken a long time to put it all together... i've shaped a 7'5 (it was meant to be a 7'6, but may turn out to be a 7'4 if i keep sanding... :oops: ) a funboard with a 10' single fin box. i'll send pictures once it's done. just wondered if anyone had any advice on it, or stories about their own dusty expereiences :)

blahlah

frankenfish

Postby blahlah » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:15 am

hey olly,

my buddy and i were trying to reshape half of an old long board into a skip frye type fish - but we haven't worked on it in a while.

our shaping tactics are pretty ghetto though - we used paper plates as the template for the swallow tail.

if we ever finish it i'll post pics. :D
Brah, it's just like, just get the best barrels ever dude. Just like, pull in, just get spit right out of it, drop in & just smack the lip, WHUH-PACK!! Drop in, BARAAH!!! Then after that, just riding the barrel & get pitted, SO PITTED, like that.

maleko

Postby maleko » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:41 am

have you tried going to swaylocks.com?
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

olly

Postby olly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:40 pm

no i'd never heard of it, cheers maleko

maleko

Postby maleko » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:14 pm

olly, i haven't been to the site in a long time. hopefully it hasn't changed. if it's still the same you should be able to find a wealth of info, post just about any question on shaping, glossing, sanding, etc. on it. i remember a guy named Herb, new just about everything there was to surfboard building.
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

olly

Postby olly » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:19 pm

yes it's still there, and looks to be useful as well. thanks for that one... isn't the internet a wonderful thing

bammbamm808

Postby bammbamm808 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:16 pm

I have long made my living as a laminator, doing about 25,000 boards in the last 11 years. I have shaped a few boards in my time and can also hotcoat fairly well. Whaddya wanna know?

slap a dap

Postby slap a dap » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:41 pm

...........bammbamm? Out of the woodwork! Where you been hide n?

HM Lazy ass

Postby HM Lazy ass » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:23 pm

Very cool site Maleks - Swaylocks does some rocking!

olly

Postby olly » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:30 am

cheers bammbamm, like i said i'm about to start glassing the thing with some help from a friend. however i was talking to a guy in a surf shop the other day and he asked if i was going to use tint in the glassing. would you reccomend i do this? presumably it adds some life to the board in terms of fading by the sun, but is it regularly used in boards you'd buy off the shelf?

bammbamm808

Postby bammbamm808 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:29 pm

I would recommend you do it clear at first, or if you must tint use yellow as it's the most forgiving. Then again, it's your first board and you're pretty deep in the woods regardless, unless your friend is pretty experienced. Just have fun with it. Try to stay away from blue, and especially green tints, as they are the most difficult to work with.

I know of a few guys who have been glassing their own boards for years and are actually pretty good at doing one or two at a time. Try to find a quality shop (not a shitty hack shack) that will let you hang around, watch and ask questions. Between hanging out and learning, and trying some boards on your own, you can make some headway even if you don't glass boards for a living.

Rich

Postby Rich » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:21 pm

Yo Olly,
kewl u wen shape a board! where u been surfing at this summer haven't seen u since last year in waianae? anywayz off topic good on allayaz givin the welsh man advice! yeah bambam howz the factory dese days and cino? u talk to him a lot? tellem we sais howzit and wish him well, as well as the pangmeister.

olly

Postby olly » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:49 am

hey rich!
i've been surfing around a little, mostly DH in the early mornings... had a crazy last year since it was my first year in grad school. this year i'm expecting much more water time since i have a much lighter class load and can work on my own time. be great to surf with you guys again i'll be up for allot of DP's this winter

thanks for the advice bammbamm, i'll keep it clear for now. like i said i'll post pics once i'm done with it... unless it's a total pig, then i'll just write 'for kelly slater' on it and sell in waikiki for $300
:evil:

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:05 am

olly wrote:
thanks for the advice bammbamm, i'll keep it clear for now. like i said i'll post pics once i'm done with it... unless it's a total pig, then i'll just write 'for kelly slater' on it and sell in waikiki for $300
:evil:

LOL, good idea Olly you dawg ....

yeah swaylocks.com has been around long time great resource i'd forgotten about it

olly

Postby olly » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:40 pm

hey bammbamm, the guys who're helping me are talking about glassing the board with a UV fix resin... is that a good idea? they said it was so that i would have more time to get it right before it cured, but i know that when i've fixed dings with solar resin, it's almost always had to be redone with the usual resin/catalyst mix... what are your thoughts on it?
cheers

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”