Fell victim...

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Jahsurfs!

Fell victim...

Postby Jahsurfs! » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:55 am

Well folks, I fell victim to a nice surfboard nose to the chin. Ouch! Finally scored some shoulder high waves yesterda, first time in a long time. Had fun at lunch and got a few good turns, went out for an evening session and caught a couple more waves that brought a smile to my face.
It was getting late but I hadn't scored any waves in so long that I wanted a few more, just in case the swell didn't hold. Don't remember the wave too much but I guess my board was being held down for a little bit and as I surfaced, it did too!
As I gasped for my first breath of air, the board popped up and the nose jabbed my chin/jaw bone area. I heard a huge pop, kinda like when you knee cracks. I knew it wasn't good, started feeling for blood but didn't see any. I took a few on the head while I was holding my chin, about 20 seconds later, I saw first signs of blood. Headed in and it's a small cut but Deep! I'm assuming it's all the way to my jaw bone. I opted to not get stitches, I didn't want to pay the $500 deductible since every penny counts, wedding is only a month or so away. Well, hopefully will do OK with a few butterfly bandages. Stay safe and always be aware of where your board is.
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:44 am

Bummer! take care Jah

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:04 am

Oweeeeee!

keep 'em clean - use vitamin E liquid-caps (pierce the capsule) and apply to wound to minimize scarring and speed up healing...

(taking that "if it moves hit it" a little faaaaaar arent we?)

:wink:
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Jah....

Postby Jah.... » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:20 am

Will do bud, gonna remain positive through this. I was just excited to get back in the water...oh well. There will be more days ahead.

Hmark, Vitamin E is a savior. Will definitely utilize the gel caps, little too early right now though, still wide open. On a side note, I think I moved so it hit me... :lol:

blahlah

Postby blahlah » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:49 am

Another possible bright spot is that, if you take pictures of it and submit it to "Surfco Hawaii," you could one day be featured in an ad for "diamond tips" or "nose guard" in Surfer Mag or Surfing.

That would be pretty cool. The last one I saw was of some guy who's board pierced the underneath of his chin and went up through his chin.

"If I had used a diamond tip, this would have never happened." :D

blahlah

Postby blahlah » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:55 am

forgot to mention that the guy in the diamond tip ad also had his board go through his tongue and into the roof of his mouth, so he had a hole in his tongue.

so i guess we are all pretty lucky as surfers not to get such bad injuries more often.

get well soon. :)

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:18 am

right on blah blah, it's funny you mention that, I had though about a diamond tip from another injury but never got it. Hind sight is a lot clearer now...but next surf I'll have a diamond tip, surfco fins and swimmies. That guy you mentioned about the injury sounds nasty, I am definitely glad this was all that happened. I count my blessings on that one....Seriously getting a diamond tip though, I don't need any unecessary injuries.

Hmark, you motivated me to change my signature... 8)
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

stickman

Postby stickman » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:57 pm

Bummer, be safe Jah!

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:10 pm

Bummahs Bruddah J.. Hoping for a fast and scar-free recovery!
Owoooooooo!!

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:36 pm

Always glad to help...in any ol way

Of course there was nothing wrong with the old sig....
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

neosponge

Postby neosponge » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:32 am

Take care Jah. Backing what HMARK said, Vit E caps works good. Other thing is to try and keep out of the sun (or at a minimum put sunscreen on)--a sunburn may discolor the skin. Never tried them, but I heard these liquid bandages are pretty good, especially if it is a clean slice.

solos

Postby solos » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:24 am

take care, be careful. your mind may not really be in the moment, make sure you haven't already left for your trip. happens to all soon to be groomz. 8)

take care, be safe... alohaz

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:26 am

whoa. notice how there'z only one letter different from "groom" to "grom"? psychiatric...

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:47 am

I've got a small scar on my nose and chin from board injuries, welcome to da club!

"you gotta pay your dues"
Why Wouldn't Ya?

Jah....

Postby Jah.... » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Definitely staying safe.
Neo, I've heard wonders about those bandages too. It's looking good today, I'm hoping it continues to get better like it has been. Just under the jaw line so it should be easy to keep out of the sun. Nothing major....I lucked out. :) Now the injury 3 years ago when i put my fin in the arch of my foot, OUCH!.....this is kitty play compared to that one.

Tanks for the welcome to the club s9joe but not sure it's a club I wish to remember often...I'd rather be in the injury free club. :lol:

solo, haven't had time to check out for my trip yet. work has kept me grounded. definitely keeping that in mind though, thanks!

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”