THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SURFING

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
LGREANZ

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF SURFING

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:56 am

maleko nli

Postby maleko nli » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:28 am

#11 Hey means go. Hey , Hey, Hey means all 3 of ya go! :lol:

solonly

Postby solonly » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:56 am

a few years back, when this internet bb thingy's started out, i started a thread on "da rules" on the "-er" bb.

i got rippped to shreds.

"who are you to come up wit da rules?"

i also found out there are surfers out there who believe that SNAKING is legitimate. at any rate, it's gotten out of hand when you have to post signs about etiquette at the beach.

not only in surfing, but in all things the GOLDEN RULE works, it really does. treat others as you would have them treat you, you'll never go wrong.

right, maleko? "hey" means "go" ONLY in brazilian...

Kelly7873

Postby Kelly7873 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:09 pm

I have problems with the first 4 commandments.
#1.WAIT YOUR TURN: Funny they made this one number one because this is the one that gives me the most problems. I can only think of a couple times when I think this rule should apply, at least for me. When I surf I sit in my line-up spot and try to take the waves that come to me. Some days it may seem like I'm catching more then my share but that's more then made up by the days when I'm catching far less. I do agree that you shouldn't paddle out and sit just a little outside or deeper then someone who's been waiting.
#2.THE SURFER ON THE INSIDE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY: Real life is much more complicated then this. Doesn't the guy on the outside have the right way if he is riding first? What if he paddles from the outside but isn't quite in the wave yet, can you whip around and take off behind him? Does it make a difference what each person is riding (longboard, shortboard, bodyboard). I also don't like their use of the word "inside", shouldn't it be "deepest".
#3.DON'T DROP IN: Sounds good but there are plenty of times when dropping in is ok. Do I need to name them?
#4.DON'T SNAKE: This one sounds good too but when does jockeying for position become snaking? If you're not a little bit aggressive you'll never catch a wave at most spots in Hawaii.

maleko

Postby maleko » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:43 pm

Being the avid longboarder I am (90% of the time I longboard the rest is on my shortboards), I sometimes go to Malibu. Here are Malibu's 10 commandments & I quote:

1) Abide by the Golden Rule: do unto others before they do it to you.

2)Thou shall bark but not bite: scream, yell & swear, but fighting is stupid- the surfer you punch will probably be a lawyer.

3)The surfer who went to high school closest to the curl has priority.

4)Thou shall always surf believing the whole world is watching you.

5)Thou shall not use Laird's name in vain: he's a nice guy, he rips and he's bigger than you.

6)Honor thy sisters: pretty girls kneepaddling longboards are immune from all rules and can get away with anything.

7) Size does matter: the bigger the board, the bigger the wave count.

8)Thou shall never apologize: Malibu means never having to say you're sorry.

9)Thou shall always go: "HEY!" means "GO!" "HEY! HEY! HEY!" means 3 guys can go.

10)Thou shall never look back: someone might be gaining on you.

(Source Volume 12 Number 4, LB MAGAZINE)

Now before some of ya start cryin' & bitchin' (u know who u r), Take a deep breath and take it like a joke.
Stay tuned for Waikiki's & Makaha's 10 Commandments :roll:
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

solos

Postby solos » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:33 am

nice pitcha malekage!!! :shock:

love them rulez, keep em cumming :)

HMARK

Simple Rule

Postby HMARK » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:20 am

Play nicely in the water.

If not, I am taking the waves and going home.

(Variation on - Gimme da ball, or i'm taking it and going home!)

:roll: :roll: :roll:
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”