Surfing is Hard and Takes a LONG TIME to LEARN

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:10 pm

skate clip I put together., me and my brother back in Florida:
http://www.surfguidehawaii.com/video/joe-skate.wmv

I just dont skate enough anymore!!
Why Wouldn't Ya?

maleko

Re: Addendum

Postby maleko » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:49 pm

HMARK wrote:Does the time I spent cracking my ASS on friggin steel wheeled skateboards and ceramic whelled boards count as surf time or modern skate time?

I still got bumps from the falls on my body - - - An do I get bonus points for the Cadillac Wheels I had on my SIMS 10" skate I hauled around in college W/ all the fucking asshole Preppys dissing my ass?

X games suck my dick - Fall down face first at wallos or uluwatus - no pads - slippas for gloves -

No wonder I get brain damage....

:roll:

skate time :) wallos was bad ass!
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:20 am

Nice joe, you almost killed marino in that clip though! :lol:
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:44 am

That kid came outta nowhere!!! pretty funny huh...
Why Wouldn't Ya?

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:45 am

maleko wrote:wouldn't that mean surfing is easy? i mean if Jah has been surfing for 27hours and let's say he charges pipe,sunset,waimea that's really good.

or if i or another longboarder can hang 10, 5, heels, etc ,and ride 10ft+ waves with confidence and still do longboard "tricks" with only 25 hours.

look at bonga, andy and the rest of the crew. how many hours have they been doing it? or how about Tudor?

surfing is just too easy. now skateboarding takes years of practice.

Good point... though clearly the whole aspect of surfing e.g., dealing with the weather & ocean, types of waves, etc. etc., is not taken into account by my simple breakdown. If an unlimited supply of easy waves were easily avaiilable to a noob, that person is going to learn quickly... about riding easy waves, anyway.

I suppose one would have to define what is 'surfing' is to them - to most of us who have been at it for a while as an integral part of our life, surfing is much much more than standing and getting to trim on a waist high dribbler every other weekend

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Re: Addendum

Postby Bud » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:56 am

HMARK wrote:Does the time I spent cracking my ASS on friggin steel wheeled skateboards and ceramic whelled boards count as surf time or modern skate time?

I still got bumps from the falls on my body - - - An do I get bonus points for the Cadillac Wheels I had on my SIMS 10" skate I hauled around in college W/ all the fucking asshole Preppys dissing my ass?

X games suck my dick - Fall down face first at wallos or uluwatus - no pads - slippas for gloves -

No wonder I get brain damage....

:roll:

Yeah i 'member Cadillac wheels! I was skating drainage ditches & homemade plywood vert ramps, started back in the early-mid 70's. Sims, Bennett, Red Riders OJ's G&S FibreFlex, big fat Kryptonics, Gull Wings... no pads or helmets, amazing lucky I'm still in one piece, though i left lots & lots of flesh all over the place :)

hahaha dayum I'm old

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:30 am

i mean if Jah has been surfing for 27hours and let's say he charges pipe,sunset,waimea that's really good.

Thanks for giving me credit maleko! Unfortunately I've never surfed any of those places....LOL :lol:
I can dream though...
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

sbmfj

Postby sbmfj » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:45 am

maleko wrote:
sbmfj wrote:that was my post, for some reason, i don't always seem to stay logged in......

checked the website...cool.
next your going to have to work on nollie kickflip to tail slide, if you can't do it already. i haven't skated seriously for about 6 years. The Plan B video that came out in 96/97? was bad ass!!
i was way into the Blind, World Industry, plan b family of decks. big Brother magazine ruled back then, but i heard steve rocco sold it and it settled down a bit.

ahh big bro..that was a good mag back in the day. larry flynt owned it too!
he was in the skatevideos with his gold wheel chair and shit...all that mtv jackass stuff acyually all stemmed from big brother. johhny knoxville got his claim to fame with all thoses boys....

as for the nollie kick back tail, i dunno i think tht trick looks bad..at least the way i do it....

plan b kicked some serious ass!, danny ways b/s 3 down the arena triple set...like whoa...p duffy b/s lip in the rain...mega whoa...favorite video of all time....have u seen the new dc vidoe, danny way has some sick shit..i got it on my desktop hd, so i can send it to u if u want email me ....

as for surfing being weasier than skating, i dunno. surfing seems hard, especially if u have one of those thrusters, and try to get air off those waves and shit...ill get back to you guys after my hawaii holiday, hopefully soon enuff!...ill give your more detailed feedback on the skating vs surfing thread...

as for the comparisoin to the two sports, as posted before...i suppose you would have to make sure both `tricks` are as hard as eachother....you could probably argue for days about this...

i work for a skstemag in montreal, called expose, i seel ads, so if u guys wanna advertise, ill give u speacial for 808surfer board members!!!

http://www.exposemag.ca

ill bring some issues with me once i make my way down south

i guess i better get some worjk doen a t work now, boss is giving me nasty stares...hehehe

ps. nice to see that there are old skaters on the board!!!

sbmfj

Postby sbmfj » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:56 am

LGREANZ wrote:when u go skate boarding you twist your ankle then u cant surf, that sucks.

very true, im actually alittle nervous abiout skatin in hawaii for that reason, but whatever, ill do it anyways.....

maleko

Postby maleko » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:01 pm

Bud wrote:
maleko wrote:wouldn't that mean surfing is easy? i mean if Jah has been surfing for 27hours and let's say he charges pipe,sunset,waimea that's really good.

or if i or another longboarder can hang 10, 5, heels, etc ,and ride 10ft+ waves with confidence and still do longboard "tricks" with only 25 hours.

look at bonga, andy and the rest of the crew. how many hours have they been doing it? or how about Tudor?

surfing is just too easy. now skateboarding takes years of practice.

I suppose one would have to define what is 'surfing' is to them - to most of us who have been at it for a while as an integral part of our life, surfing is much much more than standing and getting to trim on a waist high dribbler every other weekend

to me surfing is having fun. also, learning all the moves til i'm consistant enough to do them everytime.

one thing i'll admit is that your dealing with a moving object, the wave. no waves are the same. but when it all comes together :D :D :D :D :D
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

solo

Postby solo » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:08 pm

i agree with everyone on this thread, some more than others. i particularly noticed bud mention surfing is

"much much more than standing and getting to trim on a waist high dribbler every other weekend."

what a lot of people completely miss is the spiritual aspect of surfing. they view surfing from a shallow perspective, they only see the surface...

underneath, inside, at the core of every real surfer lies the truth behind this ritual of waveriding. it's more than the beach, it's starts at home, at 0430 in the morning... waking up earlier than everyone else so as to provide time for preparation, meditation, visualization, almost prayer, if you will...

at home, where we are already surfing before we leave to the beach...

and on the way home after a good day? EVERYONE here has had that super satisfying drive home from whereeverz, with the biggest shit eating grin on our faces, reliving the best rides of the day. i garun-fucking-tee that. that is surfing, and much, much, more. it is INSIDE every surfer, and is a thing that cannot be judged, graded, critiqued, analyzed, nor diagnosed. it is a disease that infects the soul, an addiction. and much, much, more...

when away from the ocean for extended periods, one can still honestly call himself a surfer, too. because he hears the ocean calling, tugging at a part of him that no human can touch... if the calling is real, the relationship is true.

now, ask yourself how hard it is to learn to surf? it's like asking how hard was it to learn to make love... that's the way i see it, it is a love relationship between man and the sea. intimate... that's why sometimes it hurts. it's because some see it as sex, not love. there is a difference...

i bettah get outa hea and do some cardio...

aloha.
ride the tiger...

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:20 pm

how about when your standing in the line in the super market and all of a sudden you have a flash back of that late drop where you almost ate it got stuck at the bottom had no speed knew you were gonna eat shiot so you pulled into the closeout anyway get sucked up into the pit and then the next thing you know your on the shoulder liek what the fuck.
you get this big grin and start gigglin and shaking you head waiting in line and then checkout lady is likewhat is wrong with this guy ?.
Flashbacks.......

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”