Surf training

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Dakine411

Surf training

Postby Dakine411 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:18 pm

whats up, I am just trying to get in better shape for the surf and just curious on some tips or what you guys do to train and stay in shape for the surf, workouts diet whatever let me know

maleko

Postby maleko » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:27 pm

well...1) on a daily basis i start with 3mile up a steep ass road near my hale(we're talking about almost a 45 degree angle, ie. i do it standing while peddaling(sitting increases leg power/standing works entire body)

2) i then jog/run the same ass hill as soon as i put my bike away.

3) then i will either swim in the pool or the ocean for about 1 hour to 3hours (a day ago i did a swim from makaha beach to lahilahi pt. (about 3-4miles)

4) then i hang out in the jacuzzi for 20 minutes

5)then eat a couple of sandwhich's and pickles for lunch(i skip breakfast, but drink choke water)

6) then i go surf (if we have waves) followed by work

7) if no work then i pedal my ass up the same hill i did in the a.m. on my bike

8) followed by a walk up the same hill

9) when it gets dark after dinnah(whatever i feel like eating), i do about an 1.5-2 hours of yoga about 30 -50 asanas(postures) and about 100 crunches and pushups

10) then i drink between 2-6 beers(if i'm in tha mood) or puff 1

11)sex with the lady

12)go to bed

(thinking about filling a backpack with sand to 30-75lbs for upcoming jogs)will keep you posted on that

A day in the life of Maleko. :D
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:19 pm

In my opinion this is the best surf training there is next to swimming, paddling and free diving.

http://www.bikramyoga.com/

HMARK

Purgatory.

Postby HMARK » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:54 pm

Anyone else who is in purgatory ('tween heaven & Earth) gets a call.

Training - what ever you do to keep yourself in shape as HABIT will probably do you well. Running is a good way to keep the old lungs active - (cause if they inactive - you be dead) ... The bro's on da BB got all kine ways of activity. Rock carry, run, bike, yoga, stretch, and stretch again, All are pretty good philosiphies to go by. If you got the time small kine weight lifting is great - vary the work out to keep it surf related - and STRETCH all the time relax dem muskles - it is worth the effort if you are strength training to loosen those bulging biceps and deltoids so they no get stiff -

....Anything that takes up some serious effort will do you well.

Peace.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:05 pm

:D Wake up..
grumble..
eat Raisen Bran and coffee..
poo..
poo again..
surf for an hour..
bitch about stiff neck..
work..
go home.
Watch T.V..
Look at expanding stomich and swear I'll start doing sit-ups...tommorrow.
Go sleep.

I'm living the American Dream baby!!!
Owoooooooo!!

solor

Postby solor » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:19 am

veggies, fruits, and tonz of water...

abstain from meats, fish only sparingly...

swim, surf, bike, calesthenics, stretching, running, WEIGHTS, stretching, tai-chi, streching, VISUALIZATION, and stretching.

ooops!!! DEEEEEEEEEEP BREATHING EXCERCISE, expand lung capacity.

and plenny chronic...

sbmfj

Postby sbmfj » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:17 am

i feel and act like haoleboy, just add in the chronic and brews....but wished i could train like maleko, damn u must be fit....

ill try biking tonight maybe....

nobody

Postby nobody » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:36 am

he sure is!

bruddah maleko just flat kicked my butt last weekened at kaena point. i thought i could take him, but he is just too much for me.

there we were, 0100 hours in the morning darkness, he just busted me all to hell. that's why i cannot surf anymore. he cut off all my legs and arms and feets and everything...

congrats on your fine display of fighting skills, maleko.

you certainly have my respect!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

maleko

Postby maleko » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:04 pm

solor wrote:veggies, fruits, and tonz of water...

abstain from meats, fish only sparingly...

swim, surf, bike, calesthenics, stretching, running, WEIGHTS, stretching, tai-chi, streching, VISUALIZATION, and stretching.

ooops!!! DEEEEEEEEEEP BREATHING EXCERCISE, expand lung capacity.

and plenny chronic...

TROLL ALERT

maleko

Postby maleko » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:08 pm

nobody wrote:he sure is!

bruddah maleko just flat kicked my butt last weekened at kaena point. i thought i could take him, but he is just too much for me.

there we were, 0100 hours in the morning darkness, he just busted me all to hell. that's why i cannot surf anymore. he cut off all my legs and arms and feets and everything...

congrats on your fine display of fighting skills, maleko.

you certainly have my respect!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

TROLL ALERT

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:23 pm

good topic. i need to start working out for tahiti since there is no surf and i'm not getting in paddle/lung shape.

I ran 1.5 miles last night, swam a few laps the other night and have been riding my bike off and on. Nothing formal though, couple times a week i'm doing something.

I think the swimming is something i should do more of. Nothing worse than not being in swimming shape and having a leash snap on a huge day and find yourself weak trying to get in. I really need to swim more, i can't seem to generate much power with my legs since i don't usually use them on a surf board.
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

olly

Postby olly » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:32 pm

started canoe paddling over this summer which has been great for fitness... although tough on time. fun when it's flat and windy though. swim swim swim, running kilauea, I quit weights, got nothing out of the gym but injuries but that's just me, some people swear by it.

solar

Postby solar » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:02 pm

my my my, maleko.

what is your problem? i give in to you and you still gotta aggro out?

i freely admit to the world that you beat me in a contest of strength, quickness, power, and tactics.

so why you dissing me? i scared of you, fo' real. please, no more aggro, 'k?

i scade dat's why...

maleko

Postby maleko » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:38 pm

solar wrote:my my my, maleko.

what is your problem? i give in to you and you still gotta aggro out?

i freely admit to the world that you beat me in a contest of strength, quickness, power, and tactics.

so why you dissing me? i scared of you, fo' real. please, no more aggro, 'k?

i scade dat's why...

TROLL ALERT

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:38 pm

Been seriously thinking about getting the VASA trainer. Anybody tried one or hear anything about it ? Hard to get away to do some of the more conventional stuffs. Otherwise, it's stretching, the not very regular pullup and pushups here and there. The surf session about every three weeks. And whatever I get from yardwork is pretty much the extent of my exercise. Need more aerobics and everything else. Anyway, been reading about the VASA and looks pretty good.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”