rip, gene higa

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
solar

rip, gene higa

Postby solar » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:32 am

this past weekend, during the national spearfishing championships here locally, we lost gene higa. gene was one of hawaii's world class spearfisherman...

he was fishing alone, something the constest organizars are considering not allowing anymore.

then man was my dear friends brother, and the SECOND brother to be taken by the sea. another brother was taken over 10 years ago whils ulus fishng at mokuleia...

we gotta be careful. when we're out there, doing what we love, we tend to forget that we're in the wilderness... let's go o ut in numbers, and look after each other???

gene had a wife and a young child...

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:18 am

Very sorry to hear about that, at least he went out doing something he loved.....
Why Wouldn't Ya?

solo

gene higa's sunken memorial

Postby solo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:11 am

RE: Gene Higa

last thursday, my friends brother was laid to rest at sea. his ashes were scattered at his fave diving spot, somewhere's on the north shore. a MONUMENT was left in the same area with the ashes. it's in 16' of water, near a channel... no worries, i do not believe it's near any surfing areas.

the base is made of cement, shaped like oneof those diving torpedoes, the orange ones. on top of the torpedo is a diver, with his hands raised above his head grasping a three prong hawaiian sling.

if youses happen to see it whilst doing your thing, please respect.

the thing was put together by all his diving buddies and his crew down at pearl harbor...

rest peacefully...
ride the tiger...

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:49 am

not sure why i didn't see this post earlier. Sorry to hear about the loss. I send my best wishes to his friends and family!
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”