Question for all you Hawaiian folk!

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
Selke

Question for all you Hawaiian folk!

Postby Selke » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:32 pm

...(and anybody else!)

How bad is localism over there? I've heard some awful stories about there and places in Australia. I've never witnessed anything like that over here, people here would be easy-going & friendly, except the odd big-headed lad that thinks he's fantastic (when he's not!) :wink:

I'm hoping to goto Australia, Indo, Hawaii & a few more places within the next 2 years but to be honest I'd be in the horrors about having to deal with that kinda crap, it would totally defeat one of the main purposes of surfing for me.

So...would ye or have ye ever had to put up with agro when surfing?

maleko(nli)

Postby maleko(nli) » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:27 pm

it's all about common sense. if you have it, you'll be fine. if you don't ...

maleko(nli)

Postby maleko(nli) » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:34 pm

s9j mentioned in another post that he happened to ride his bike into the crossfire of some guys shooting at the mountain.

i've been out surfing at a break near tracks and after pissing off 1 of the local iceheads in the parking area, i had the privledge of getting shot at while in the water. i make it to shore and guy has left already, but i called the police department. they came out & 1 of the cops tells me... what do you expect out in waianae?

so my friends and i got back at the guy and busted his van all up. 4 flat tires, all broken windows, i'm sure he was happy when he came back from diving.

(true story)

solar

Postby solar » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:42 pm

maleko!!! what the hell are you doing???

you just wrote a written document confessing to a crime, cuz! you not too swift, eh brah???

just because someone is a shit don't mean you can treat them without regard for the law. you gotta be careful brah, you don't know who on this bb is actually five-oh...

brah, messing with someones car can get you killed.

and what's up with these west side guys and gunz? wot? dey forget how fo' BEEF???? too fucking lazy fo' trow blows?

to quote bruce lee: "any damned fool can pull a trigger..." i guess wesside get plenny fools...

Samsara

Postby Samsara » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:47 pm

Don't believe everything you read because someone says it's a true story.

nobody

Postby nobody » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:58 pm

ok, maleks...

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:21 pm

look at this .....

SOme kid from Ireland ask a question about localism and if he would be safe in the lineups, and then post by post it goes down the drain.....

flush, hope you wiped.

No more localism on Oahu, go to the outer island and you'll experience some beef/stress. there are certains pots that are defended and protected
big time.

But if your nice and not greedy give up the choice waves then you'll be fine. Just gotta be cool.

Over here your car will just get rip'D off by addicts.

olly

Postby olly » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:21 pm

hey selke, i'm not hawaiian, i'm welsh and have been here a few years. this means in terms of any standing or pecking order in any line up, i'm theoretically at at the bottom. and this does not matter one bit :)
i've seen localism in cornwall or porcawl at home as much as i've seen it here. the standard here is better, and the waves bigger, so the stakes are definately higher but the feeling is the same. show respect and respect is given, just like anywhere in the world. I don't paddle out with 4+ other guys, i don't paddle straight to the peak and i'm very careful not to drop in.
i like to avoid crowds if possible and stick to uncrowded breaks, of which there are plenty. i've never had a significant problem in the water, and nor will you i'm sure. :D

olly

Postby olly » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:23 pm

umm.. that's porthcawl... can't type

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:41 pm

there isnt localism, more like just some intense crowds at certain spots, but i dont think you'll get your ass kicked if you play it low-key really.
Why Wouldn't Ya?

Selke

Postby Selke » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:41 am

LGREANZ wrote:look at this .....

SOme kid from Ireland ask a question about localism and if he would be safe in the lineups, and then post by post it goes down the drain.....

flush, hope you wiped.

No more localism on Oahu, go to the outer island and you'll experience some beef/stress. there are certains pots that are defended and protected
big time.

But if your nice and not greedy give up the choice waves then you'll be fine. Just gotta be cool.

Over here your car will just get rip'D off by addicts.

'she'! Thanks for your replies lads, still a bit if-y about it though. Especially after reading maleko(nli)'s post! :shock:

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:07 am

BUT the spot Maleko was describing was on the West side, know as the most crime ridden area of Oahu. North - South shore no woriies really
Why Wouldn't Ya?

puhi

Postby puhi » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:49 am

true dat. i wouldn't include any plans to visit the westside of oahu, especially at night. yer definitely asking for it if you go there, with your moon-tan standing out like a sore thumb.

there are other pockets of ill repute dotting the island, but for the most part, it centers itself on the westside. if they don't rip you off when you're in the water, then they'll crzash into you with their car while driving 110 mph in a 35mph zone. believe me, avoid the wesside like the plague.

waikiki, town, east, north and central oahu are for the most part, pretty safe and cordial. the closer you get to the tourists (waikiki and north shore) the safer and friendlier it is.

localism? NOtHING like califrisco and oz. them white boys are very possessive of their own breaks, almost to the same degree that they are disrespectful when visiting others home breaks. over here, you give a smile you get one back.

the people you'll have to watch out for is your FELLOW TRAVELERS. these assholes are here for a limited time, so they feel they need their moneys worth... they try to grab every single wave, shitttty or not. very obvious, they stand out like a sore thumb.

don't try to prove anything when you're here. noone will be impressed, we've seen it all, and then some. AND, you'll get yourself in trouble, to boot.

aloha, and safe trip. (don't expect a rose garden)

Binky & Dino

From OCCC

Postby Binky & Dino » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:37 pm

puhi wrote:aloha, and safe trip. (don't expect a rose garden)

Damn brah! What happened to you? You use to be normal and now you have several personalities, ie. solo, solar, puhi, nobody, the list goes on and on.

Clearance sends his regards.

We're all praying for ya!

Just one last thing though, you seem to have a lot of anger held up inside ya. Let all the grudges go, you will be a lot happier :D

Friends til we die,
Binky, Dino, and Clearance (who's in solitary right now)

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”