GEOLOGIC QUESTIONS FOR THE MEGAPROBER

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:02 pm

am making tai food fot the fist time w/the chick. will reply your request when i get time.....most likely tomorrw. by the way does anybody know how to make sticky rice?

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:03 pm

that was me the megaprober

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:25 pm

In Puerto Rico cuisine "arroz con habichuelas" (rice-n-beans) is our national dish. And we dont do that uncle bens shitty type rice, our rice it aint thai but it is sticky. Just add a capful of corn or vegetable oil to the boiling water and a pinch or 2 of salt. You'll have nice tasty rice thats sticky.

Good luck with the chick, hope you get some ;)
Last edited by Puerto_Rico_Surfer on Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:30 pm

Hey Megaprober, please do not take this in a bad way. I am just really curious as to where you got your name, or what inspired it.

Cause honestly, when I see your name all I think of is, the poster with the "butt pirate" name, and it cracks me up sometimes, lol.

Does megaprober have anything to do with Geology, since that seems to be your field.

HMARK

PRS!

Postby HMARK » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:48 pm

Soo what ? any news on the switch to Hawaii?

You gotta wait for HOW long to find out?
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:34 am

the megaprober is the name of the large urility truck that i drive in order to get samples from the ground.. the truck uses a huge hydraulic hammer that slamms into the ground. :o

maleko

Postby maleko » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:19 am

megaprober wrote:ps no more "guess" posts in this column....please. its weak and i prefer to know who i'm answering to. :D it's just courtesy. thanks
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

megaprober

Postby megaprober » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:36 pm

:D got me....stung by my own rule. it was actually an accident. i noticed you like the muppets and you got the singer of the band on the show. post a picture of "animal"...he was one of my favorites.
that spot off the h-3 rocks!!!

http://WWW.JUTECAST.COM

megaprober

sandy beach/ koko head area

Postby megaprober » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:07 pm

:!: some of you are asking the same questions i did many years ago and still find new and amazing anwers.

the area that is now koko head is without a doubt one of the most intersting areas geologically on oahu. firstly it is the most recent area of volcanism on oahu (specifically speaking sea-life park on the makapuu pinninsula). that eruption is thought to be only 6000yrs old although i think it is a bit older due to the various sea cut benches found on it from times of higher sea level. from the hawaii kai golf course past hanauma bay and even off-shore there is a series of eruptions that created the various ash cones that make up what we call the koko rift. above sea-level there are at least 7 eruptive vents and then at least 4 others seen from radar imagery off-shore under water. the rift also includes rabbit island and the two other vents in vacinity of makapuu. if it weren't for the this eruptive series the present shoreline in the hawaii kai area would be snug up against the cliffs far in the back and there would be a shallow offshore barrier reef similar to what you see at wailupe's or toes. this reef would extend around to the base of the the cliffs near kamehameha's throne. well at sometime in the last 100,000yrs eruptions blew through that offshore reef and built up these ash cones we see today. we know that there was a reef there because all the little white rocks you find in the area are cemented fragments of reef that was blown out of the pre-existing reef now enbedded with ash and cinder. if you look closely you'll find some layers have more ash and other have large fragments of reef as well as other dark rocks. the latter was a period of explosive activity on the the ashy layers represent times when the eruptions were a little more tame. why no lava? that is actually not true there are three known lava flows, one near the lanai lookout and the others on the northestern side of hanauma bay. the lack of lave suggests massive interaction with groundwater and seawater creating very explosive conditions called hydro-phreatic if i spelled that correctly. the lava simply blew apart.
the ash layers differ basically depending on how they were eplaced, how explosive the eruption and if they dropped in situ or by pyroclastic flow. if anybody has the time all this can be prove by taking a shore walk at the lanai lookout.

park your car walk straight out and down the cliff. once at the bottom turn left and go around the bend and you'll see a massive core of white reef drapped over by ash deposits from one of the koko rift eruptions.

this enitire catagory has so much information within it that i could type here all night, but i'm a slow typer and may have to do it in sections. how old is koko crater itself? possibly as young as 32,000yrs. if anybody really wants i'll explain why post-erosional eruptions occur and why oahu hasn't seen its last one.
that spot off the h-3 rocks!!!

http://WWW.JUTECAST.COM

Rich

Postby Rich » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:21 pm

beri interesting dude. Hey Mega I hiked maunaloa last year and that was a trip! have you done that yet?? I'll never do it again, fer sure. Talk about one of the wonders of the earth though. pretty spectacular but no can breeed (breathe) way up there. :shock:

HMARK

Ok!

Postby HMARK » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:44 pm

I am game, tell me why post erosional shitskis aint pau yet!

I am innareesssed as anyone, I would like to know.

And 1 more thingy - what are the geological influences that effext Leahi?

What kinda of schtuffskis can we look forwrad to outta her?

Are there fault lines to consider? Or Volcanic shit?...

HMARK

btw

Postby HMARK » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:46 pm

Tanx for da info!

Cool as shit for me!

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:59 am

A couple of yars ago right after x mas we had a huge Waimea style north swell hit the islands and north winds blowing.
Actually most of the swells were more from the north that season.
Well anyway I surfed out off of Kamehamehas chair witha few other guys.
it was sick, the swells were marching around Mokapu'u point all the way towards Urmas, and the winds were getting funneled through that road/valley heading towards Waimanalo. I guess were were surfing the fringe reeef that you are talking about.
Have never seen it like that since, unreal and scary being out in the ocean over there. Glad I paddeled out cause I've never seen it like that since.
long left walls that would turn into a right and you could work the right back into the cove. Straight Offshore winds ! maybe this winter :lol:

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”