Moving Oahu Feb. 28

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
red

Re: Moving Oahu Feb. 28

Postby red » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:30 pm

And whatever you do don't go to college here. You'll start making crazy horror films, get all paranoid on govt conspiracies, and possibly forget what a surfboard is altogether. There are a couple traditional healing classes at UH Manoa but I think you have to be a Hawaiian studies major. If ya go that route I suggest approaching it with an open mind and some thick skin.

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:52 am

HMARK wrote:
Paradise tax.

This is your stoke killer Jonny U. Wherever you been, where ever you have surfed, dont mean diddly. You are entering a whole new world my friend. The tax aint just monetary, it will come in double spades in cutural shock. It really isnt the surf that will kill you, and the fire that stokes, it is the unwritten stuff. The monies (10 K) isnt going far, man. Thats some folks monthly wages and they are living low and sleek.

Housing is tight. You gonna rent? Good luck. First off, most folks are gonna reem you investigative wise. You better be full on clear via your SSN, cause if you aint - No way, Jose. They got 90 others chomping at the bit for housing. You wanna do the beach-it thing? Good luck, more speed (ice) heads there than at the race track.

So it all good - other than that? You sound sincere in your ability to provide or learn the alt med angle. Guess what? Got thousands here already doing it. Not to burst your bubble, but the asian community isnt going to welcome you w/ open arms, unless you are perhaps Jonny Sino/Soviet. The closed society is the closed society.

You gotta understand 1 thing - you are entering a - island community where everyone knows everyone, and knows WTF you are up to when you least expect it. The minute you provide a weakness to be exploited, it will be. Bud's site is all full of stoke, and good shit, and great crew, but man, you know it aint all like that here.

Reality sucks, but if you truly can find your way here, you will be welcomed with more aloha and love than you can handle.

Really, it ends up being up to you.

Good surfing to you.

Aloha.

Ok, thanks for being so candid, and I do appreciate the honesty, I do know that there will be considerable amounts of culture shock, more than I planned on, which will hopefully be good for me, as you can see, I look at the brightside of things, but am by no means weak. The reason why I posted where I have been, and some of my experiences, is to give you all a good idea of where I stand, intellectually, and socially, not to brag or anything like that, and I hope I didn't give that impression, because that is no way what I'm about. To answer your question Haoleboy, I do have experience, in alternative med, which is a b.s in the field, and worked for a doctor of naturopathy for years, also I am running a healthfood store at the moment, and have been doing different things in this field since I was 19, I'm 24 now. So some experience, but not much. I have been excepted to both a school of acupuncture, and UH, so I just need to figure out where I want to be. We do plan on renting, and the beach-it thing never even crossed my mind. I do have some family on my brother in laws side, on the island, that I just talked to last night, they are going to look for a place for us, apparently they are paddlers, I think outrigger style. If I can ask a question, how did some of you get through the island unscathed for the first year or so??? I'm sure some of you are born and breed, so this question doesn't apply, but any first hand experiences would be nice, even if your born, and breed, some advice would still be great.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:26 am

I do have some family on my brother in laws side, on the island, that I just talked to last night, they are going to look for a place for us, apparently they are paddlers, I think outrigger style. If I can ask a question, how did some of you get through the island unscathed for the first year or so???

Firstly, you got ohana (family) here. You are already better off than most stepping off that big ol jet airliner.

You will get thru unscathed by being humble, and keeping your mind open.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

goro

Postby goro » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:45 am

red wrote:And whatever you do don't go to college here. You'll start making crazy horror films, get all paranoid on govt conspiracies, and possibly forget what a surfboard is altogether. There are a couple traditional healing classes at UH Manoa but I think you have to be a Hawaiian studies major. If ya go that route I suggest approaching it with an open mind and some thick skin.

oh man, where is rockie when you need him...to play like prof. whitehead in the tiki caves... :?:

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:25 am

J.U...
Sounds like you got a good plan and solid skills. You'll do fine...

You're gonna love the water here...
Owoooooooo!!

goro

Postby goro » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:29 pm

cut, cut, cut...
hb, mike sends everyone back to the mainland...
hm, pretty good job playing lippy/mr. hanalei...
here's how it was done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y0Yf2MpCuA&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSoUmsc2D4U&NR=1

red

Postby red » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:41 am

goro wrote:oh man, where is rockie when you need him...to play like prof. whitehead in the tiki caves... :?:

I just cast him as scary military vampire fighting guy. Thanks for the idea!

CUinHELL

Postby CUinHELL » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 pm

Bud wrote:on that note I'm about to sell some used boards. if you're a shortboarder & weigh less than 160 I'll have some good deals. as always members here get preference

Seriously Bud, you need to gain 30# so I can buy your used boards. :mrgreen:

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm

utah, you might be in time for some late season north shore juice! Stoked for ya...
Why Wouldn't Ya?

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm

this is america, so you can always collect unemployment.
and Hawaii is a welfare state and all the immigrants are on it.
if worse comes to worse Uncle Sam has got your back.

I'm from NYC and grew up surfing cold water, maybe 15 to 30 sessions a year
all i ever wanted was to SURF.
so if thats what you want this is Mecca.
Hawaii aint for eveyone and I've even seen good surfers, who love surfing unable to get a foothold in the society
and flee back to the mainland.

and not to put you down but Floridians that I have meet here sometimes have a hard time being the minority.(haole)
i guess its just different from the fishing & hunting redneck culture and I know numerous examples were Floridians
couldn't handle. (as the say in the islands)

But the hardships of housing, work and transportation can bring you down.
The rental market is extremely competitive, good luck.

Holistic /alternative medicine ? you are moving to probably the most competitive market in the USA.
but you need to find your niche.
and once again ..... craigslit.
for work ..... The Honolulu Advertiser or hawaii jobs.com
im sure if you google, hawaii, holistic, alternative you'll see what i mean.

as far a surfing there is no where in the world where you will see humans of all ages, shapes or size ripping the shit out of it.
it will take you YEARS to feel comfortable in the lineups. give respect get respect, sometimes.........

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:50 am

I hear ya lgreanz, i am fortunely not a redneck, and don't have that subborn attitude like so many of us have in Florida, this is one of the reasons why i'm trying to get out of here. I have noticed that there are alot of alternative medicine facilities, and clinics. I do agree with you about finding my niche, but what's the point of making the trip if i'm not up for some challenges? Worst case, i just, like you said, flee back to the mainland. i can relate with the 15 to 30 sessions a year, even though we tend to get more surf than that, sometimes it's just not good enough to get out, and when it does get good, it's only good untill the tide changes, then your back to riding shorepound. All and all, I'm sure i'll be humbled instantly, by the ocean, and the people, but I plan to make the best of it. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Hey everyone, I wanted to know if anyone would pm me some mellow spots to check out now that I'm on the island. Thanks.

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:45 am

Ill post some of em here: diamond head cliffs, waiks, puena point, chuns reef, freddyland, white plains in ewa. Kaisers lefts is easy too.
Why Wouldn't Ya?

bobblehead

Postby bobblehead » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:59 pm

So Johnny, ICAOM?
USUCKIRULE!!!

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Just wanted to say that we are all settled in, and wanted to see if anyone would like to go for a surf. I could use some surfing buds. I live on the south shore, but have a car to go pretty much anywhere. Thanks, all for your advice, it helped out tremendously.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”