Moving Oahu Feb. 28

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
JohhnyUtah

Moving Oahu Feb. 28

Postby JohhnyUtah » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 am

Hello everyone, I am relocating to Oahu on Feb.28, from Florida, for graduate school. I have a couple of questions, should I sell all of my boards, and just buy new over there, or should I bring them with, what's the used boards, and new price range over there? I also wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on where to live, or maybe a friend that has apt's for rent. I will be attending a acupuncture and oriental medicine college in downtown. So somewhere around downtown, that isn't ghetto would be cool. Also, how bad is the localism..... I'm a good surfer for florida's standard of waves, so I can handle myself in pretty large surf. I have spent sometime in Cali, around santa cruz, so how does it compare to that, as far as the vibe in the water, for those who don't know, santa cruz is pretty intense. Thanks all...

Re: Moving Oahu Feb. 28

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:07 am

JohhnyUtah wrote: I'm a good surfer for florida's standard of waves, so I can handle myself in pretty large surf.

:lol:

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:10 pm

As I understand airlines charge an arm & a leg to fly boards and they get beat up usually. There's tons of good deals on new/used boards here.

kinda hard to answer your questions about comparative board prices, where to rent, etc. without knowing about money. If you gots lots, then you have more options on where to stay. If you're regular people have work/income lined up and have a plan/some connections you'll probably be fine. If you're coming here broke, don't do it. If you know how to surf and understand etiquette you'll have no problem in 90% of the lineups here.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:00 pm

craigslist.

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:27 pm

A quick scan of craigslist and it looks like a room in an apt. in town is gonna run you around $600-$850. Likely a bit more if you want cable, internet, etc...The lower rents get you ghetto, ghetto's in town aren't that bad.
Food is expensive. So is entertainment if you go out. Natural foods are really expensive.
Figure each board is likely to run you $200-$300 for anything worth having.
Localism isn't that bad unless you go to a main break and/or act foolish. Pretty much like anywhere. Actually, my friend from Santa Cruz says the locals there are way bigger assholes. :D

Bud said it best though...If you're coming over broke, don't do it.
Owoooooooo!!

red

Postby red » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 pm

You're gonna get ripped off. People love to take advantage of newbies.

If you like surfing you're gonna need a car. I got a toyota wagon I"m trying to sell if you're interested.

If you have any questions about number two, see number one.

Serious, though. Buy my car.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:55 pm

on that note I'm about to sell some used boards. if you're a shortboarder & weigh less than 160 I'll have some good deals. as always members here get preference

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:51 am

Well, to the dude that posted my comment on good surfing by florida's standards, i'd like to tell you that I've surfed in Mexico, Ixtapa, Loma point, and EsCon. Also been around puerto rico, on big trade swells, 12 foot range....costa, big hermosa, and lots of unknown spots in Panama. But, there is no need to prove myself. I am coming over there with around 10 grand between me and my girl, so not that poor, for grad students, we are looking to spend about 1000 to 1300 in rent a month. I looked at craigslist....shit been looking for months...... and figured I'd talk up some people on surf forums, because I've got some good deals, and meet some cool people, on swaylocks.....and other florida surf forums......to all that posted something constructive, thanks i do appreciate it. Bud, thanks but I'm about 6'2, 190.........The only board I will be bring over is a 6'0 Mandala quad fish.....so I'll need a new longboard, shorty, and semi-gun. Once again thanks.

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 am

I would advise you to look for a place in Makiki, Moilili, or Waikiki. There are some studios in your price range, the area's not bad, and walking/biking distance to surf. There are a few attached cottages deals out there, but you might be farther from school/surf than you want to be without a car. Until you get wheels you'll be stuck on the South Shore... it's a hour drive to North Shore. The Bus system is pretty solid, but they don't allow boards on them.
I'm sure you know, but all places are gonna ask for 1st and last months rent up front. $10 grand will go quick, but there's lots of P/T jobs out there. Most folks out here work 2 jobs. Paradise tax.
Hope your experience out here is great. Drop me a PM when you get here and we'll go for a surf.
Aloha!
Owoooooooo!!

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:33 am

thanks, Haoleboy, I'll need some people to surf with other than the one person I know out there....I was told by a friend that lives on Maui, that you have to get a "local" card, so the supermarkets don't charge you extra?????? Is this for real, or are they just f'n with me.

red

Postby red » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 am

Yeah it sucks. They sell 'em for $40 but I can hook you up for $20. It's a Foodland card that's a little bit used but it's good for life!

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 am

:D $20!! Deal!! My last friend made me pay $30!

It's no joke...you gotta get a card for each supermarket you shop at. You'll end up with a wallet full of those stupid things. I think it's mainly to track your buying habits, so never buy "cigarette papers" at the supermarket. b+b

Be prepared for lots of culture shock...
Owoooooooo!!

JohhnyUtah

Postby JohhnyUtah » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:59 am

wow, that's interesting..........i'm sure the culture shock will be in full effect, but I'm pretty open minded, and look to learn from the experience. Also, what is the healthcare system like over there, lots of alternative practitioners???? I'm interested, because I have a b.s in alternative medicine, and maybe I could get a job with one of them. Also is there any Hawaiian folk medicine still around????? I know there has been in the past, and I was interested in maybe talking to a old folk medicine doc, I have done this in Mexico, and the guy was crazy..........but damn cool about teaching me his techniques. Showed me how to make curare, which is the poison that is applied to the arrows for hunting, and a couple of his remedies for nausea, colds, and wounds.

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:51 pm

There are some practitioners of the "old ways", but they are also smart capatalists and give nothing away for free.
In Honolulu, crazy folk doctors are actually.... just crazy.
My Mrs. is a massage therapist, and says there's work available in the hotel spas if you're licensed. Not sure about acupuncture. Or oriental medicine, though we have a pretty solid Chinatown. Lots of wild stuff going on down there.
If you and your girl are younger or inexperienced, there's a lot of part time waiter gigs while you go to school.
There are some health plans that cover alt. medicine, but not many. Most of the accupuncturists (sp?) I've been to are independent and want nothing to do with the health care companies. Cash or check baby.
Speaking of Oriental medicine...
I had a chinese gf in high school days, and whenever I'd get sick her grandmother would boil this horrific brew and force me to drink it. I think she was trying to kill the round eye.
Owoooooooo!!

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Paradise tax.

This is your stoke killer Jonny U. Wherever you been, where ever you have surfed, dont mean diddly. You are entering a whole new world my friend. The tax aint just monetary, it will come in double spades in cutural shock. It really isnt the surf that will kill you, and the fire that stokes, it is the unwritten stuff. The monies (10 K) isnt going far, man. Thats some folks monthly wages and they are living low and sleek.

Housing is tight. You gonna rent? Good luck. First off, most folks are gonna reem you investigative wise. You better be full on clear via your SSN, cause if you aint - No way, Jose. They got 90 others chomping at the bit for housing. You wanna do the beach-it thing? Good luck, more speed (ice) heads there than at the race track.

So it all good - other than that? You sound sincere in your ability to provide or learn the alt med angle. Guess what? Got thousands here already doing it. Not to burst your bubble, but the asian community isnt going to welcome you w/ open arms, unless you are perhaps Jonny Sino/Soviet. The closed society is the closed society.

You gotta understand 1 thing - you are entering a - island community where everyone knows everyone, and knows WTF you are up to when you least expect it. The minute you provide a weakness to be exploited, it will be. Bud's site is all full of stoke, and good shit, and great crew, but man, you know it aint all like that here.

Reality sucks, but if you truly can find your way here, you will be welcomed with more aloha and love than you can handle.

Really, it ends up being up to you.

Good surfing to you.

Aloha.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”