cameras and crowds

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
nobody

cameras and crowds

Postby nobody » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:09 pm

ever notice how a coupla cameras can really turn a crowd EVIL?

i think cameras are getting to be too prolific, appealling only to the egomaniacs in the lineups.

really. who actually needs DAILY DOCUMENTATION of their leisure activities? it just feeds the ego, and encourages selfish surfing.

i see your cameras, and i will go the other way. the surf media is just killing the stoke of surfing. it ain't fun anymore, rather, it's STATUS. at least in the subjects mind...

"STROKE ME, STROKE ME..." (SAD)

oj

Postby oj » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:36 pm

do you mean web cams invinting the world to the lineups, or JB's chunsreef circus?
or bud, taking pics of him and his friends for his own enjoyment, like a diary. something to look back on. Bud's doing nothing but documenting and sharing stoke. JB's trying to make easy money and in the process advertising the very break outside his house, making crowds there insane. web cams suck for crowds... but we all use them, love 'em and hate 'em don't we? that's my thoughts... interesting subject though :roll:
that you solo?

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:27 pm

Funny how just through the act of typing on a message board you can recognize an individuals tone. Personnaly I like JB hes a nice guy I meet him a few times before his website photo business and hes still the same ol surfer today
As for Jockos and Chuns, its sad to see what has happened to those spots in just 2 seasons of exploitation, ego is definatley a major factor in the lineup over there.
Not that it wasn't already down the drain, but now hes moved his business to "The Arena." I think hes a smart man and making a killing at his new locale , even seen him plugggin his biz on Boardstories.
I dont think webcams affect the lineup one bit, just give people a heads up/ head start on a new swell, lineups in Oahu will be choked out till the end of time. Especially in town.
If you wanna score in 2004 you gotta be an unemployeed bum or get on the night shift work routine.

nobody

Postby nobody » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:33 pm

yes, it's me.

i'm not referring to the webcams nor buds, nor anyone elses PERSONAL pics.

i'm referring to jb's circus, and all those other photogs trying to make an easy buck.

yesterday i went to bowls for a relaxing late evening sesh after a hard day at the grind. i paddle out to the lineup, and didn't catch one single wave.

this was caused by a HUGE crowd of peoples sitting on the inside, wanting to position themselves properly for the cameraman in the water.

jb is feeding off of peoples VANITY. vanity is a sin. what does that mean about someone who makes his living off of other peoples sins? he cultivates.

somebody

Postby somebody » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:51 pm

theres always goin to be a downward trend in our sports sanity, but u gotta realize that goin to bowls for a relaxin sesh just isnt really in the cards for most people. tooo many people. There are plenty of alternatives, maybe not as good a quality of a wave, but definitly better atmosphere, you cant have your cake and eat it too. not supporting that scene, just observing that there is nothing you can do to stop them, and the best way to save urself is to avoid where they are.
the truly sad day will be when there is no alternative to the bowls'ish crowd

maleko

Postby maleko » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:03 pm

if i remember correctly, a fellow poster(don't want to mention any names)
made a comment about why there are no surfline cameras on the west side. he stated that the "iceheads" all tore them down to buy more ice. he also said something about "fruit pickers" too(lol). this same person now is getting all upset about JB's kooksite.

isn't it ironic?

i'm lucky that i have the Waianae Mtns. blocking our location, no surfline cameras, no JB, or a complete road around Ka'ena Pt. ....

1 of the reasons why we over here (Waianae) are so lucky to live Hawaii 8)
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

nobody

Postby nobody » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:41 pm

you right. westside has got it going on, and you knew all along that i knew that, too. i was just trying to push your buttons.

i am deeply sorry for trying to do so.

i'm sure jb and his contemporaries (sp?) have no malicious intents such as greed. i'm positive they all feel they're doing the community a service, and i salute them for noble intent. bless their souls for trying to raise the stoke, honest. it's just that their good intentions give birth to inflated lineups, clearly saturated with souls who wish to be noticed...

vanity. dat's all.

keep it simple.

Thebigz0

Postby Thebigz0 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:51 pm

J/B's pics are expensive. He's gotta be making some money off of that. And how does he afford to live right by the beach? Those apartments are fucking expensive.
I saw an interview with him and he was saying that before he became a photog he was a bus boy, so I'm guessing that he didn't have much saved up.

Edit: I hope that it doesn't sound like I'm hatin', cuz I have respect for him. His buisness is successful, he has got some mad marketing skills. He's always stoked in his reports too, even if he does exxagerate a little bit too much.

bammbamm808

Postby bammbamm808 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:24 pm

Brings out all the kooks, idiots and posers, which is why I'm always going where the cameras are.

maleko (N.L.I)

Postby maleko (N.L.I) » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:40 pm

nobody wrote:i am deeply sorry for trying to do so.

no probs, honestly

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:04 am

nobody wrote:
i am deeply sorry for trying to do so.
no probs, honestly

Now that is cool!

Hope you're catching some Solo, Cameras suck in my opinion, don't imagine we have quite the same problem in my neck of the woods but they definitely don't help the crowds anywhere.
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:16 am

goin to bowls for a relaxin sesh

that is pretty much impossible, you need to be a full on agrronaught or a cute chick who knows the locals if you wanna surf there.

nobody

Postby nobody » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:22 am

wanna bet? just cause YOU can't experience that doesn't mean it ain't possible.

after a person has surfed a spot for 35 years, he becomes a part of it. the mere sight of the spot relaxes me. you see, i KNOW it can be relaxing, as i've experienced it one MANY occasions. ("relaxed" is a relative term, and means different things to different people.)

when a person must be "aggro" to surf, he is FORCING THE ISSUE. it should all just flow, no edges or bumps. everyting smooth.

why do the rest of you surf bowls if you ain't enjoying/relaxed yourself? i surf there because there are occasions when you can luck out and catch it good and empty... and sometimes, even if it IS crowded, if it's the RIGHT crowd, things are irie.

some of you know what i'm talking about...

maleko)N.L.I)

Postby maleko)N.L.I) » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:22 pm

nobody wrote:why do the rest of you surf bowls if you ain't enjoying/relaxed yourself? i surf there because there are occasions when you can luck out and catch it good and empty... and sometimes, even if it IS crowded, if it's the RIGHT crowd, things are irie.

some of you know what i'm talking about...

i [/u]lived in town for 3 years(Waianae IZ better) i surfed bowls daily and could find many relaxing sessions there. if the crowd got too aggro, i moved to my favorite surf break in town(which i will never mention).

what bowls, kaisers,rock piles(ugh),& in betweens really needs is NO FREE PARKING! get rid of the free parking and that would probably evn chill out those spots even more

just my opinion :)

maleko(N.L.I)

oops

Postby maleko(N.L.I) » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:24 pm

only meant to under line LIVED

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”