Ever take the wrong board to the beach?

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
stuffed

Ever take the wrong board to the beach?

Postby stuffed » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:46 pm

As someone who's always worrying that I'm bringing the wrong board to the beach, I thought I'd try to see where other people are coming from when it comes to being ill-equipped. The following are a few fictional scenarios of finding oneself with the wrong board.

Scenario #1: In the middle of August, you get a call from your glasser in Haleiwa that your twin fin is ready to be picked up. A call to the surf report tells you that it's one to two feet all over the north shore so you figure that you'll pick up your new board and maybe get wet. You get to the glasser who happens to be all smiles as he tells you that the waves in the country came up this afternoon and they're calling it 4 to 6 with bigger sets. A drive to Lanis reveals that he is telling the truth and the waves are firing, overhead and lining up. You paddle out on your new 5'10" wishing that you were on your 6'10" instead and channel Tom Curren as the sets march in.

Scenario #2: Swell reports from the Southern Pacific have been going off. Your most reliable forecasting source says that this is a big one, surf should be at least 5 feet and pumping by the middle of the week. You have to work, but you figure that you're on it once 5 o'clock hits. The morning the swell is supposed to come, you stuff your biggest board in your car and drive off thinking about dropping into some bombs later on that day. Your source tells you that in the morning the sets were overhead and looking like they were picking up. Finally you get off work and drive to your spot, only to see that instead of getting bigger, the swell has dropped. And instead of mackers outside all you see are waist-to-shoulder sets coming through the inside. Without any time to drive back home to pick up your smaller board, you are forced to paddle out on your semi-gun. As you're putting on your eight foot leash, you curse your surf forecasting source and wish him a purgatory of eternal drop-ins.

Scenario #3: You get sent out to Fresno for work and on your last day your boss tells you to go down to Santa Barbara to check on a client. After making it to Santa Barbara and taking care of business, you mention that to the client that you're from Hawaii and you surf. The client's face lights up as he starts telling you how much he's into surfing and how he's going to Rincon after work. Since you're not leaving until the next morning, you ask if you could borrow a board and wetsuit and come along. He says sure, and that he'll tell his buddy to meet you both at the beach with the stuff you need. You and the client get to Rincon, and it turns out to be just like you've seen it in magazines. The Queen of the Coast is in all her glory and you're fired up to get on it. Your client introduces you to his buddy who proudly tells you that he's brought one of his Merricks for you to use. You can't believe how lucky you are until you see that the board is longer than you're used to. Three and a half feet longer, to be exact. So with a forced grin, you graciously accept your new friends generosity and try not to think about the longboarding sucks bumper sticker on your car.

Ever found yourself in similar circumstances? And which scenario would you mind the least?

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:31 am

the board is important if you want to surf your best
but its just a tool to feel the energy.

red

Postby red » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:39 am

#1 Freddy's

#2 Don't bring your guns to town, son.

#3 Shoulda learned how to longboard. OOops!

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:51 am

get a vanagon and bring your quiver along with you. thats what I do.
Why Wouldn't Ya?

stuffed

Postby stuffed » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:51 pm

surfer9joe wrote:get a vanagon and bring your quiver along with you. thats what I do.

One of my dreams was to get a full-size Ford van to keep all of my boards inside it so that I'd have them with me at all times and I'd never have to deal with loading or unloading boards at home. But after being told that I'd look like a serial killer driving around a full-size van, I sadly gave up the idea. But your suggestion of getting a vanagon has made me reconsider my dream of getting a van. Because if anyone's going to suspect a vanagon driver of anything, it's going to be snooty European taste as opposed to roadside abduction.

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:08 pm

red wrote:#2 Don't bring your guns to town, son.

Say's someone who brought out a 9 foot gun to 5 foot DH.
I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:11 pm

stuffed wrote:
surfer9joe wrote:get a vanagon and bring your quiver along with you. thats what I do.

One of my dreams was to get a full-size Ford van to keep all of my boards inside it so that I'd have them with me at all times and I'd never have to deal with loading or unloading boards at home. But after being told that I'd look like a serial killer driving around a full-size van, I sadly gave up the idea. But your suggestion of getting a vanagon has made me reconsider my dream of getting a van. Because if anyone's going to suspect a vanagon driver of anything, it's going to be snooty European taste as opposed to roadside abduction.

I'd accuse anyone driving a VW of driving a piece of shit. Trust me I used to own one. Go get a ford and paint "FREE CANDY" on the side. At least you'll be mobile.
I listen to classical music because violins and shit are supposed to make you smarter

surfer9joe

Postby surfer9joe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:27 pm

The vanagon I am driving I drove out from florida. It lasted from there straight north to chicago, west to oregon, south to mex, back up to central CA, then matsoned it to HI. Countless trips to every shore on Oahu in the biotch. POS, maybe, but she gets me there. Expensive repairs on occasion, but I have defintely got my $$$ worsth on the vanagon.

BTW, maybe it is a POS, I am 3 weeks late on my saftey check :)
Why Wouldn't Ya?

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:14 pm

Sorry for the previous VW rant. I'm just jaded from my one and only lemon experience.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:50 pm

I had a 67 double cab, and a 71 bay window.

I'd give my left nut to have them back.

And the right one, too.
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

magoo

Postby magoo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:53 pm

HMARK wrote:I had a 67 double cab, and a 71 bay window.

And the right one, too.

But what about the babies??

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:55 pm

thye used to ride in a car seat. then grew to go in the back. now, they haul ass around me.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:56 pm

magoo wrote:
HMARK wrote:I had a 67 double cab, and a 71 bay window.

And the right one, too.

But what about the babies??

From a aussie mag looks like you had a killer June, ay mate?

magoo

Postby magoo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:45 am

Sure was pretty good.
Was Head 1/2 to DOH for about three whole weeks.
Soo good. All the for point break were working, and kirra
was properally breaking for the first time in like 5 years.
It was pretty sweet to see the old guys crack out there
guns and see guys like 60+ charging some pretty
solid waves, I was just bouncing around on my 6'0.

Yea id rate that month.

olly

Postby olly » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:47 pm

Rocky Rockbottom wrote:Sorry for the previous VW rant. I'm just jaded from my one and only lemon experience.

no, i second that rant. finally just got rid of my jetta after three years of torment.
i will never buy a vw again, especially out here where parts and labor are extortionate... unless it's earlier than '70...

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”