Windansea (article)

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
neosponge

Windansea (article)

Postby neosponge » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:09 pm

Check out an article I write for my Road Runner Hawaii surf column:
Windansea

Surf was good when I was there in early June...

Would appreciate any feedback (post at the end of the story and here too). Mahalo!

Jahsurfs

Postby Jahsurfs » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:43 pm

NeoSponge, didn't know that was you on Surfermag. Sweet article! I post as cuBe1 over there, I registered here as a different name for some reason a long time ago, can't change now. :)
You have a very good feel for the place for not surfing it every day. Definitely peaks up in a lot of places allowing for inside peaks, lefts, rights, slow mushy waves, inside bowl sections. Tough to get it wired but very fun once you do. I liked it....:D

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:16 pm

when windansea is actually "good" arent there so many other quality, less crowded breaks in SD area.
When i was there it was super crowded with longboarders, we could always find a better "scene".

Jahsurfs

Postby Jahsurfs » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:03 pm

when windansea is actually "good" arent there so many other quality, less crowded breaks in SD area.

Definitely Lgreanz! within paddling distance. I think he as drawing a connection between hawaii and Wind N Sea connection.
But you are correct there are better breaks 75 yards to the south, 75 yards to the north, 150 yards to the north, etc... :D

neosponge

Postby neosponge » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:38 am

Jah,
The break to the south was nice, but pushing a little. Also wasn't showing as big. And you know how "challenging" the lineup can be out there. The one to the north, I'd never seen it break so well, but it was reeling so fast that no one was making it out of the tubes.

Would've probably tried the one to the north on my bodyboard, but I had decided to use that mini-tanker and knew that my feeble skills (especially backside) would not be able to make it work.

I did have good fun at W/S though. :D

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:08 am

I hear ya sponge, all the reefs in LJ tend to be more challenging than most of SD with a few exceptions. 8)
I don't even bother with the left to the south anymore, too many aggro attitudes, not my style. I'd rather kick back and share a few waves...

If that left in the pic is the spot to the north you are mentioning, it's a great wave. needs a 3' + tide in order for it to work correctly and it can be as fun as any of the waves around there on the right swell, usually a steeper South swell makes it peel across the reef with a perfect barrel. Most often than not theres a section in the wave and it has 2 and 3 steps on the face when it's big. I've visited the reef many times on that wave but it's fun for around here. :D It used to be more mellow and off the beaen path because it's harder to see from the road but it's getting bad in the past few years.

Let me know when you're heading out. If I'm in town I should have some gear for you to borrow, depending on whatcha need! I've definitely felt the Aloha from Stickman, Solo, Bud and Bruddah Garrick while visiting the islands! I've only been able to repay some Aloha to Stick and Bruddah G so far, now maybe Sponge? :D
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

Jahsurfs!

Postby Jahsurfs! » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:09 am

Oh yeah, we need swell first though.... :(
Though shall be nice to everything that moves 8)

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”