Shortboards

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
SuRfEr GiRL

Shortboards

Postby SuRfEr GiRL » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:27 am

How do you know when your ready for a shortie? I have a 7'6 NEV pointy nosed board. is 7'6 considered short?

maleko

Postby maleko » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:14 am

7'6 is perfect for 2nd reef Pipe :twisted:
Everybody talkin, talkin , talkin dat trash

olly

Postby olly » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:57 pm

hmmm... maybe not 2nd reef just yet, :roll: but it does sound like the board you have is more of a gun than a mini-mal or actual long board.
what is more important is the width and breadth of the board, giving float and stablity. I guess all i know is that it's a pretty slow progression, and if you can try out different boards to see which you're more comfortable with... hope i've not just confused things more...

k

Postby k » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:50 pm

olly wrote:what is more important is the width and breadth of the board

so what you're saying is thickness and width is more important than length? :shock:

nah, a short fatty fish might be the next bored to transition to surfer girl - i think olly's right. even if a board looks short, if it is wide and thick enough you may surprise yourself with how many waves you can catch.

have fun! :D

Selke

Re: Shortboards

Postby Selke » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:43 am

SuRfEr GiRL wrote:How do you know when your ready for a shortie? I have a 7'6 NEV pointy nosed board. is 7'6 considered short?

I dropped down from a 7' 3" to a 6' 10" a few months back. Pretty big board (and thick - 2 5/8") and 19.5" wide but it's such a nice board to ride. You can catch almost anything on it.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”