Dog busts Buttons

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
red

Dog busts Buttons

Postby red » Mon May 14, 2007 8:11 pm

Episode 80 - The Big Wipe-Out

A&E
Tuesday, May 15 9:00pm ET
Wednesday, May 16 1:00am ET

A Hawaiian surfing hero is on a wave to nowhere and it's Dog's turn to play lifeguard. "Buttons," known throughout the islands for his prowess on the waves and his daring 360's, has wiped-out on the rocky shoals of drug addiction. This troubled legend has been losing his struggle with the "Big H" and Dog's search to find him is a voyage through the murky waters of homelessness and despair.

dirtbag surfer

Re: Dog busts Buttons

Postby dirtbag surfer » Tue May 15, 2007 7:09 am

red wrote:Episode 80 - The Big Wipe-Out

A&E
Tuesday, May 15 9:00pm ET
Wednesday, May 16 1:00am ET

A Hawaiian surfing hero is on a wave to nowhere and it's Dog's turn to play lifeguard. "Buttons," known throughout the islands for his prowess on the waves and his daring 360's, has wiped-out on the rocky shoals of drug addiction. This troubled legend has been losing his struggle with the "Big H" and Dog's search to find him is a voyage through the murky waters of homelessness and despair.

He looks pretty strung out in the previews. Sad :(

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Tue May 15, 2007 9:01 am

didn't see the preview don't know when it was filmed. I had pretty long chat with him out at Lanis about a month or so ago. he was the same old Butts I always knew, looked in good health and talking up stoke about towing in with Garrett Mac, how he couldn't wait to do it again

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue May 15, 2007 9:40 am

if its about surfing, the guy is still killing it !

dont trust the false media, this might be some reverse psycholgy publicity stunt to get attention and get back in the news and get the Reward, recompense, compensation, pay, payment, repayment, satisfaction, requital
that he deserves for turning surfing inside out and showing the world what was possible. good for him if so, still sad that he needs to do this.

he probably has an addiciton problem which with proper treatment he can be cured.

all these bigsurf industry companies on the NASDAQ should be trying to help him quietly instead of letting him be shamed on A&E.

Lono

Postby Lono » Tue May 15, 2007 9:45 am

Haven't seen him in 10 years, last time was out at Backyards, still rippin' i heard that he was doing good, that the owner of a sporting goods empire had signed him on to use his name to sell skateboards. His sister said the guy advanced him $40,000 and he opened his 1st checking account with it.
We surfed together as kids, used to hang out at the old Beach Center in Waikiki. I hope something good comes of this and he doesn't end up dead like a lot of our friends.

dirtbag surfer

Postby dirtbag surfer » Tue May 15, 2007 10:58 am

Bud wrote:didn't see the preview don't know when it was filmed. I had pretty long chat with him out at Lanis about a month or so ago. he was the same old Butts I always knew, looked in good health and talking up stoke about towing in with Garrett Mac, how he couldn't wait to do it again

Yeah I don't know when it was filmed either. Also the context that they filmed him in wouldn't make anyone look good...chasing him down with mace with cameras rolling and some freaky looking haole dude with a mullet wearing cowboy boots coming after you, yelling and screaming. Yeah, that would probably make anyone look a little freaked out. :)

My take on the brief preview, he just didn't look healthy though. Maybe he got some help since whenever it was filmed. I don't know, we'll get a little more of the story when it comes out tonight.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue May 15, 2007 5:59 pm

Man that is just sad, i grew up reading about him in magazines, he was cutting edge surfer...real bummer.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue May 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Episode is starting right now on A&E 9pm west coast time.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Tue May 15, 2007 6:05 pm

Puerto_Rico_Surfer wrote:Episode is starting right now on A&E 9pm west coast time.

No Spoilers!!!~!!!!!!!

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue May 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Life sucks, the episode left me sad. Thats not the way for a hero to end, I hope he gets help.

Thebigz0

Postby Thebigz0 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Sad to see anyone go down because of drugs. Too many stories like this.
But yup, lets keep the weed & seed program going strong so we can imprison the devil weed smokers, while the ice heads fry their brains.
Coke is coming back too, we're going to be seeing a lot more paranoid lunatics in the coming years. Too sad...
I truly hope that Buttons gets his life back on track.

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Thebigz0 wrote:Sad to see anyone go down because of drugs. Too many stories like this.
But yup, lets keep the weed & seed program going strong so we can imprison the devil weed smokers, while the ice heads fry their brains.
Coke is coming back too, we're going to be seeing a lot more paranoid lunatics in the coming years. Too sad...
I truly hope that Buttons gets his life back on track.

Weed and Seed is not in reference to marijuana......

The program, initiated in 1991, attempts to weed out violent crime, gang activity, and drug use and trafficking in target areas, and then seed the target area by restoring the neighborhood through social and economic revitalization. Weed and Seed has three objectives: (1) develop a comprehensive, multiagency strategy to control and prevent violent crime, drug trafficking, and drug-related crime in target neighborhoods; (2) coordinate and integrate existing and new initiatives to concentrate resources and maximize their impact on reducing and preventing violent crime, drug trafficking, and gang activity; and (3) mobilize community residents in the target areas to assist law enforcement in identifying and removing violent offenders and drug traffickers from the community and to assist other human service agencies in identifying and responding to service needs of the target area.

Thebigz0

Postby Thebigz0 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about, just some rambling. Is green harvest still in operation?

billaj

Postby billaj » Tue May 15, 2007 9:07 pm

i saw dog at the airport yesterday with his big boobed wife

Haoleboy

Postby Haoleboy » Tue May 15, 2007 9:25 pm

Saw Beth walking today and her shirt had these big block letters..."No photos please". :D

Buttons came into my shop a couple years ago with this tweaky girl I knew. He was super cool but I was under the impression both of them were high on meth or crack. Totally wired and wide eye'd. Was ramble-talking about a clothing line they were gonna start.
Bummer...He was one of my heros. Hope he gets it back on track.
Owoooooooo!!

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”