Stupid Haole or unlucky citizen ?

General surfing discussions, with a focus on Oahu. Instructions on how to register
LGREANZ

Stupid Haole or unlucky citizen ?

Postby LGREANZ » Sun May 06, 2007 11:14 am

a few weeks ago i tried to express that fact that Hawaii (all islands)
is a tough place to be at times. and its not all fun in the sun as the media likes to portray.this unlucky man endedup in the wrong place at the wrong time just like any city in America.

He was injured on 4/22/07 died on 4/24/07 and this story didn't make it into the news till 5/4/07. In any other city if a tourists is killed its big news.
Over here it gets covered up !

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 7705040371

too sad. made me ill.

bammbamm808

Re: Stupid Haole or unlucky citizen ?

Postby bammbamm808 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:26 pm

LGREANZ wrote:a few weeks ago i tried to express that fact that Hawaii (all islands)
is a tough place to be at times. and its not all fun in the sun as the media likes to portray.this unlucky man endedup in the wrong place at the wrong time just like any city in America.

He was injured on 4/22/07 died on 4/24/07 and this story didn't make it into the news till 5/4/07. In any other city if a tourists is killed its big news.
Over here it gets covered up !

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 7705040371

too sad. made me ill.

Now who's sticking up for the tourist?

Seriously. In a perfect world, what he did would not be a stupid, suicidal thing to do, but I do peek out the window from time to time, and we don't live on such a rock. I'm hardly streetsmart or a seasoned world traveler, but I can tell you that it is generally a bad idea to walk into a homeless/gypsy/vagabond/hobo camp anywhere in the world and start taking pictures. People in general dislike being photographed without permission, especially by a stranger who walks uninvited into their home and starts snapping away.

The guy must have been incredibly naive to do what he did. Most people will at least exercise caution in a new setting as a matter of course, and be respectful of people when entering their home, until they have a read on the situation. I wonder what he was thinking and what his background is not to see that his actions might not be favorably received. He seems to be one of those idealistic people full of lofty ideals, possibly indoctrinated by an institute of "higher learning", who wants to save the world, but doesn't seem to care that he is pissing off his neighbor. People such as this seldom do any real good and usually end up in politics or in an academic setting surrounded by others who are poorly acquainted with reality. Reminds me of the american girl who stood in front of the Israeli bulldozer and was, well....bulldozed. Was it murder? probably. Did she deserve to die? Absolutely not. But given her actions and the people she was dealing with, she should have expected trouble, possibly including her own death. If she did know the risks and proceeded anyway, she was a fool, possibly crazy and her death accomplished nothing. Such deaths are sad and tragic, but doing stupid things will sometimes get you killed. It's a confirmed fact, really.

To answer the question: BOTH

Regarding the assailant. Someone was telling me that it is a tragedy for the killer, too. Bullshit. The killer still gets up everyday, and will continue to for the forseeable future. Any hardship he brings on himself obviously pales before the finality of the consequences that befell his punching bag. Anytime you take a swing at someone, especially someone who is completely unprepared for it, you run the risk of the guy falling back and hitting his head. It's a fairly common occurrence and the puncher had to to know this. So, no sympathy for Mr. Tough Guy.

Rocky Rockbottom

Re: Stupid Haole or unlucky citizen ?

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon May 07, 2007 9:10 pm

bammbamm808 wrote:Anytime you take a swing at someone, especially someone who is completely unprepared for it, you run the risk of the guy falling back and hitting his head. It's a fairly common occurrence and the puncher had to to know this.

I had a loud mouth hot head roommate a decade or more back. Navy guy that rode a motor bike. He would often yell and berate people who would cut him off or whatever on the road or wherever. He just happened to be a small fellow at 5'9 and 135 lbs so he didn't have much to back up his mouth. According to his friends that were following him in a car someone cut him off and you know what happened...He was hit in face out cold on to a curb. His brain took so much blunt force trauma that it "shifted" according to the doctors that had to remove around 10% of his brain to prevent the swelling and save his life. He had a 35 % chance of survival which he did. I saw him about a year later and he was basically the same guy except he had ballooned up to about 165 and he had lost most of his peripheral vision. He was lucky. Fighting can be much more dangerous than people think. Life and death situations only, unless you have proper protective gear. If you must fight do it in a ring.

Return to “Surf Talk - New Member Registration”