Photog's Neo, or Bud, or whoever!

HMARK

Photog's Neo, or Bud, or whoever!

Postby HMARK » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm

Wife bought a Nikon D-50 with some of her $$$ from LV. Now, you know I suck as a photog, but I'd like to get better.

Would it be worth the cost to get a underwater housing? And what would you smart guys suggest? Where should I start? What the hell should I look for?

For a complete doofus like me, where should I start (besides the damn manual) to learn the ins-and-outs? She got a bigger lens, too. Does that make a big diff with using? Or all that f-stop; apeture stuffage?

Youre talking about a moron with three thumbs here, you know.

But a willing learner.

Hey tankx, eh?

:roll:
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:33 pm

go digital

keep it set on auto focus.

fool proof.

have you seen the new metalic waterproof canon cameras

they sick. !

for a novice buy something that is one piece waterproof

(no extra housing) = easy.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:34 pm

seond that L^]
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

neosponge

Postby neosponge » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:28 am

Can you teach me photography? That is like asking someone to teach him how to surf?

First thing is exposure. You establish your exposure using three settings: ISO (sensitivity of light), aperture (size of lens opening), shutter speed (how long the shutter stays open during a photo. Need to adjust these according to what you want to do, and they all interact with each other. For instance, higher ISO (say 1600) makes the camera sensitive to light, but at the cost of adding graininess to the image. Changing the aperture (say to 4.0) allows more light, but decreases the depth of field, the zone where the camera is focused. And making the shutter speed fast will freeze action (typically wanted for action photography), but will allow less light in.

Going auto-magic will set this all up for you, but to really use the camera, you need to understand exposure and let it work for you.

As for a housing for this camera, well, the D50 is the entry-level Nikon digital SLR. Street cost is between $600 and $800 (no lens). The metal housing talked about is the one made by SPL Water Housings. They start at maybe $1500-1600. Need to determine which lens you will be shooting with, because each has its own lens port.

In my studies for buying a housing for myself, people have told me that it would be unwise to get a housing for my Canon XT (similar cam to yours)--that it would be a waste because the camera will not give you consistent results, and that resale will be difficult.

You need to determine how you want to shoot too. Do you want to go for the fisheye shot where you need to be withing five feet of the subject (think about doing that at Backdoor), or are you going to sit in the channel with a big lens (more expensive lens port)?

I could go on forever, but that's just a start. You can learn the basics, but the reality is that you need to just go out and shoot for yourself (27 years for me and counting). Also, each camera is different and you have to learn their idiosyncrasies.

If you have specific questions, just ask.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:33 pm

Mahalo's Neil.

I have a pretty basic understanding, I kinda figured the open-endedness of the question was kinda babooze. :?: :oops: :?:

The auto-magic is dummy proof, and as you say, the greatness of the camera is in knowing more and doing more with what you have.

I really appreciate the condensed version of Photo101. At least the thing doesnt seem as intimidating as it first appeared. All I gotta do is fastforward 27 years, and BINGO!

I guess she got a pretty good deal, she got the whole thing, plus a zoom lens (of what capability, I have yet to learn) for 800 clams. The dang thing takes some crisp as heck pix of the grandkid, so far.

Thanks again, bro.

-L+L-
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

Return to “Off Topic”