HPU

surfingcroatan

HPU

Postby surfingcroatan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:40 am

Hey Im looking into going to Hawai'i Pacific University. It seems pretty nice. Any one been on campus or taken any classes there? How is it? What about University of Hawai'i at Manoa?
I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! Are you threatening me? How dare you threaten Cornholio!

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:43 pm

I've heard HPU referred to as a "Micky Mouse" university. I'd have to agree with that, I went there. It has a good nursing program and a decent MBA program. Classes are held year round so you could graduate in 2 1/2 years.

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks. That cool that they offer classes year round, so I could graduate in half the time. What did you mean about it being the "Mickey Mouse" school?
I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! Are you threatening me? How dare you threaten Cornholio!

Rocky Rockbottom

Postby Rocky Rockbottom » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:00 pm

surfingcroatan wrote:What did you mean about it being the "Mickey Mouse" school?

All you have to do is show up and you'll graduate.

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 am

Damn. Thats crazy. That's actually a kinda sad.

red

Postby red » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:44 am

No, it's expensive. The homeless people who hang out in the Fort Street Mall are sad.

goro

Postby goro » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 pm

i would call it more of "it's a small world" school...lots o' people from all over da world...probably cuz as an international student you ain't req'd to take the SAT/ACT and the English reqts are min...if you had rich 'rents, you wuz from somewhere like hamburg and you luv 2 surf....why wouldn't ya? anyplace is what you make it anyways right?

kimo

Postby kimo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:17 pm

if you like homeless, druggies and mahus HPU campus is the place to be!

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:12 am

Yeah I compared HPU and UH Manoa, and Manoa is deffinately better (it's a little bit more expensive, but not much). So I think UH Manoa is going to be my number one pick, then HPU after that. Are there any other 4 year colleges on O'ahu, prefferably non religious?

Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to recieve financial aid? I'm going to get a little bit of help from my parents, but I'm mostly going to have to finance college on my own.

surfingcroatan

Update on my situation for college

Postby surfingcroatan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:18 am

So I've been doing a lot of research, checking out other universities, and thinking realistically of how I'm going to afford college; and I've decided to stay in state (Virginia) and go to Radford University. My plans on going out of state for college were kinda shot down by the costs of tuition and everything else (I'm already gonna have to take out a lot of loans by staying in state).

Radford U is in the western (mountainous) area of Virginia (5 hours from the nearest beach). I know it's sacreligious of a surfer to go to a college so far away, but they really impressed by being able to meet with the Physics Department Chair on a Friday afternoon with little notice; the faculty seem very caring about their students, and more than willing to go ou of their way to assist them (I will also have snowboarding to help with my surf cravings). Another thing that impressed me about Radford was the great Study Abroad program they have (which goes to places like Australia and South Africa). They also have internship programs over the summer that are held at other colleges, including UC Berkley and UH Manoa.

After I get my bachelors, I will probably go on to get my masters. I may go to Virginia Tech (which is near Radford) for my masters, or I may go to some other prestigious university, but I still have a while for that.

I think that Radford will bring a lot a good opportunities my way, even though that means being further from the beach (but hey, Virginia Beach's waves suck anyway).

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:09 pm

Man I spent 3 years in Iowa, and now I am a Firefighter in my hometown.

Go, study, and know the surf is there.

Its always there.

Shit, I am still basically sane.

8)
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:23 am

Thanks HMark. I appreciate the advice.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:46 pm

ur crazy kid.

coming here and going to school will be the greatest decision you'll ever make in your life.

the surf might not be goin anywhere, but you defiantly be goin where theres no surf.

i had a friend who killed it in the esa's and had the potential to be a pro surfer.

he went to school in Alabama because he visited a cuz down there and got laid and smoked some good herb down south.

took him 6 years to graduate cause all he did was party and play golf.

hes still kicking himself to this day.

whats he doing now ?

hes a pole monkey laying electric cables in the sky supplying energy to the unappreciative ghetto animals of NYC.

either way ur gonna have a loan to pay.
after a year of living in Hawaii you'll be a resident and tuiton is extremly reasonable.

rethink ur decison dude cause radford U aint goin no where either.

live ur dream, grab life by the balls . dont be a kook and join a faternity.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:26 am

I SECOND THAT SHIT.

Dont be an idiot. Even if you cant afford school the first year, just make the jump and move to HI, you are going to have a hard time finding a job. But you will get one eventually if you have half a brain which I suspect you do since you were accepted at a couple schools. Its all about networking and not so much resumes.

Anyway live for a year, pay your taxes, qualify as a resident, and then go to school on the cheap. You will never regret this decision. Listen to us old fucks and just do it.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

uncle

Postby uncle » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:11 am

LG and PRS you guys speak the truth. I too was sponsored back in the 70's and chose to go inland for college. Stupidest thing I ever did! Missed out on 10years of good waves and spent thousands on drugs and alcohol. I still probably would have spent the thousands on drugs and booze, but at least I could've had 10 more years of waves.

Return to “Off Topic”