HPU

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:40 am

But I mean, how realistic is it to go to college full time, and work a full time job? Plus my job experience is next to none, so I think finding a job that I would be able to support myself on (especially with how everything is so expensive in Hawai'i) would be a lot harder. I still would love to move to Hawai'i, but I don't think that's going to happen for atleast a couple more years. But hey, I could always transfer to UH Manoa, or go there for my master's.

As far as the partying goes, I'm not that hard of a partier. I know how to manage my alcohol (I haven't even drank in 3 months). And don't worry, I am not going to be joinging any fraturnaties.

If I was in a better financial situation, then I probalby would just move to Hawai'i for a year so I can get in state tuition, then go to college. But I am going to have to finance college all by myself, and I'm going to be getting very little help from scholarships and grants.

I don't think it will be that difficult for me dealing without any surf, becaus: 1). In the winter here, it's either flat, choppy, disorganized, and/or completetly blown out, and is always cold 2). There's only about two dozen days out of the whole year that the surf is even worth paddling out 3) I can always take a weekend to go down to the Outer Banks, NC for a little weekend surf trip. So I guess my point is, the surf is so sh*tty anyways, I probably won't be able to notice it much.

But hopefully in the near future I will be able to move to Hawai'i (and not be homeless). I'm one of those people that when they have a dream, they pursue it. And though my ultimate dream is to live in Hawai'i, my more immeadiate dream is to get a good education so I can get a well paying job and make that move to Hawai'i. :D
I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! Are you threatening me? How dare you threaten Cornholio!

uncle

Postby uncle » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:01 pm

Don't mind me I'm just a bitter old man. There's a news flash in the Advertiser that says HPU was voted one of the best colleges in the Nation. Go figure.

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:54 pm

blah blah blah . . . . my ultimate dream is to live in Hawai'i .....blah blah blah ....

if the above was really true, then everything would be quite simple for you. it's really not that complicated

nygel36

Postby nygel36 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:54 pm

surfingcroatan wrote:But I mean, how realistic is it to go to college full time, and work a full time job? Plus my job experience is next to none, so I think finding a job that I would be able to support myself on (especially with how everything is so expensive in Hawai'i) would be a lot harder. I still would love to move to Hawai'i, but I don't think that's going to happen for atleast a couple more years. But hey, I could always transfer to UH Manoa, or go there for my master's.

As far as the partying goes, I'm not that hard of a partier. I know how to manage my alcohol (I haven't even drank in 3 months). And don't worry, I am not going to be joinging any fraturnaties.

If I was in a better financial situation, then I probalby would just move to Hawai'i for a year so I can get in state tuition, then go to college. But I am going to have to finance college all by myself, and I'm going to be getting very little help from scholarships and grants.

I don't think it will be that difficult for me dealing without any surf, becaus: 1). In the winter here, it's either flat, choppy, disorganized, and/or completetly blown out, and is always cold 2). There's only about two dozen days out of the whole year that the surf is even worth paddling out 3) I can always take a weekend to go down to the Outer Banks, NC for a little weekend surf trip. So I guess my point is, the surf is so sh*tty anyways, I probably won't be able to notice it much.

But hopefully in the near future I will be able to move to Hawai'i (and not be homeless). I'm one of those people that when they have a dream, they pursue it. And though my ultimate dream is to live in Hawai'i, my more immeadiate dream is to get a good education so I can get a well paying job and make that move to Hawai'i. :D

if you have a dream, chase it. Why settle? Sure its not gonan be easy living here, but for the surf...its worth it, ask any of these guys and they will agree. I was in the same boat as you.. I dreamed of living here and surfing.

I packed my bags with about 1 grand to my name and a plane ticket 1 way to hawaii. 3 yrs later here i am and couldnt be happier with my choice.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Radford U.

2006-2007 Undergraduate Expenses

Yearly typical Costs for an In-State

Tuition and Fees...................................$ 5746
Room & Board.......................................$ 6218
Books & Supplies.....................................$ 800
Personal Expenses.................................$ 1600
Transportation ......................................$ 900
Total for Academic Year...................$ 15,064

UH

Yearly typical Costs for an In-State

Tuition and Fees...................................$ 4320
Room & Board.......................................$ 9600
Transportation ......................................$ 1900
Total for Academic Year....................$ 17,220

Hawaii Pacific U

Yearly typical Costs (HPU is private so there is no difference in state or out therefore it is much more expensive)

Tuition and Fees..................................$ 12232
HPU Dorm.............................................$ 9840
Transportation ......................................$ 1900
Total for Academic Year....................$ 26,372

I was looking on craigslist for housing and I found housing for students in the range of $600- $800 in the UH area. I used the $800 a month for my calculations above. And dont expect much but hey you are chasing a dream right? The object is to establish residency and then go to school in HI.
Links from craigs
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/227604500.html
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/apa/228722963.html

All the other figure amounts come from the respective school websites.

The only reason I didn't make the jump to HI to study was I didn't get accepted to the only Law School in HI, otherwise I would be there right now...

To me this is a no-brainer (trust me surfcroatan your brain isn't looking to smart right now), a $3,000 dollar difference per year (an extra $250 a month only) to live your "ultimate dream", but hell why am I wasting my time doing research that you should be doing.

Especially when you will just be another donkey/buoy that I am going to have to surf around when I move there in June 2009.
Last edited by Puerto_Rico_Surfer on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:41 pm

I don't know. I'm giving it thought. It's hard. I mean, right now, I'm basically deciding my whole future. I know that I'll be happy in Hawai'i, but... I dunno, maybe I'm just kind of scared about the whole situation of getting out on my own for the first time. Well, not so much of getting out on my own, but afraid that I'm going to fall flat on my face... But then again, if you never go out on a limb and take a chance, then you'd never know what could have happened. I guess it kinda comes down between having a successful life (by most people's standards), and having a happy life (by your own standards). I'm going to give this some more thought.
I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! Are you threatening me? How dare you threaten Cornholio!

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:55 pm

So you fall flat on your face>>>> sometime shit happens. You get back up and try again, instead of being a pussy.

But how can you fall flat on your face in this instance?

Examining the facts:

If you make the jump to HI to study here, you will not be studying your first year. Since economics dictates that you can't enroll and you will have to live in HI for a year to establish your residency. To get the cheaper tuition at UH.

Worse case scenarios:
1. You don't get a job during the year, you can't hack it here thru the year trying to get residency or don't have the $$$ and you go back to VA. At least you tried. But that is a piss poor excuse, I firmly believe anyone with at least a walnut for a brain can get a job, if you really want one--may not be the job you want and sucks ass but they are out there and you can survive.

2. You get the job, get the residency, but then can't hack school and drop out. Well fuck if you couldnt handle school in HI what makes you think the outcome would be any different in VA, but at least you're already in HI, living your "ultimate dream" and by this time you should have a pretty good network of friends and it should be easier to go back out and find a job.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:02 pm

BUD put it best.

Quote:
blah blah blah . . . . my ultimate dream is to live in Hawai'i .....blah blah blah ....

if the above was really true, then everything would be quite simple for you. it's really not that complicated

Stick a fork in me, I'm done trying to help you make the right choice.

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:19 pm

I appreciate all the help PR Surfer. You do make a lot of good points. I mean hell, if I do fail, then atleast I did try unlike so many people who never gathered up enough balls to go for their dreams. I'm going to do some more research about housing an all; then, I think I might have to break the news to my parents.

Thanks for the advice and help everyone. And thanks again PR Surfer for giving me those links and all.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:15 pm

how ya gonna break the news to your parents with your moms tit still stuck in your mouth.

oh how i wish Solo was here to chime in on this this thread.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:57 pm

if you havent figured it out yet....

LIFES HARD.

You make a choice here and there.

Deal with it.

(either way)

:wink:
~ God created surfboards so the truly gifted would not rule the world ~

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:00 am

I'm just kind of scared about the whole situation of getting out on my own for the first time.

No scared that - wait till your first go out.

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:04 pm

So I'm sure you guys have noticed that I haven't been on in a long time. I have figured out what I really want to do. I am going to major in Physics and attend Radford University. When I visited Radford a few months ago, I fell in love with the place, and it seems to give me great opportunities. My reason had nothing to do with being too scared to move to some where new, after all, I have been doing plenty of moving throughout my youth. It's hard to explain, but it just feels right, like that's the college that is right for me. Yeah I'm going to be sacrificing some days that I will be able to surf, but often almost the entire winter is unsurfable. And seeing how I will still be living in Virginia Beach in the summers, and Radford is only an hour away from snowboarding, which is among my top passions (along with surfing and music), it's a reasonable compromise. Say what you may want to say, but I have found the right place for me to further my education. And as I have mentioned a while ago in another thread: since this is suppose to be a forum for Hawaiian surfers, and I no longer have [any immediant] plans on moving to Hawai'i, I will no longer post at this site.

Aloha.

HMARK

Postby HMARK » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:49 pm

What ever floats your boat and makes you happy.

We only bust your balls to make you see.

Good luck, fo'real.

Aloha

surfingcroatan

Postby surfingcroatan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:48 pm

Mahalo HMark.

Aloha

Return to “Off Topic”