Hey Driftfast, yes you.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Hey Driftfast, yes you.

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sun May 28, 2006 11:05 am

I'm curious:

How old are you?

Whats your educational level and where did you graduate from in Florida?

Do you even have at least a BA degree or are you just a person with no education hoping to make it in HI, remember this there are more than enough locals with no education to cover the jobs out there and they will be hired before you? (The states resources are stretched thin enough as it is.)
What do you bring to HI that puts you in particular demand?

What are you going to do for work once you run out of your savings?

Who do you think is going to hire you? example what companies, have you even looked?

You say you have money saved up so you won't have to work for a year; How much you got saved?

Depending on the answer you state above where do you expect to live, housing wise. Have you actually looked at the HI housing market? Rentals are not cheap...And forget about the days of camping on the beach in front of Pipeline, country isn't country anymore. And country isnt cheap.

Don't you think it would be better to visit first with some of that saved up money and see if HI is really a fit for you? Your expectations are not reality and you will be in for a big surprise. Especially job market wise and realestate hunt (even if you are renting-there are no cheap areas, even the poor areas cost $$$).

As much as you might like to think you will be a local after a few years; reality check- it will never happen. You are not Hawaiian, you are an outsider that might be accepted...eventually... but you will still be an outsider. You havent gone through the shit they have, its as simple as that. You havent seen land prices increase so high that Hawaiian natives have to work 3 jobs just to be able to afford a mortgage and feed their keiki (hope I spelled that right).

Give these questions thought and don't answer the minute you read them, if you are educated show it.
I hope you respond and answer these questions. Otherwise you are a troll in my book and will be ignored.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

driftfast180

Re: Hey Driftfast, yes you.

Postby driftfast180 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:27 pm

[quote="Puerto_Rico_Surfer"]I'm curious:

How old are you? 22

Whats your educational level and where did you graduate from in Florida? Degree in Computer Networking Systems with MCSA and Net + certifications plus my experience. I will be graduating from Itt-tech.

Do you even have at least a BA degree or are you just a person with no education hoping to make it in HI......
What do you bring to HI that puts you in particular demand? As far as the job market, my education and experience listed above.

What are you going to do for work once you run out of your savings? Two months prior to moving I will be sending resume's out to the job market and making contacts with possible roomates based on the moving date. Because half the companies hiring I.T only hire in state that limits the chances of me having a job before hand. Yes, I will have enough savings to buy a car and pay rent for a year, but within the first week I arrive I will be working on state residency, drivers license, vehicle, and getting a job.

Who do you think is going to hire you? Ive been checking out the job market since I was 17 for oahu and there are alot of companies hiring for I.T. right now.

You say you have money saved up so you won't have to work for a year; How much you got saved? $15,000 but as soon as I get over there I will be going for interviews.

Depending on the answer you state above where do you expect to live, housing wise. Have you actually looked at the HI housing market? Yes I have looked and as right now it seems like most places are in South to Central Honolulu. Chances are that I will be working in the city so I most likely will stay in Honolulu. I wont be by myself, I will have roomates, and no I dont care if I have to stay on a couch.

Don't you think it would be better to visit first with some of that saved up money and see if HI is really a fit for you? Yes it would, thats obvious but Im looking at it another way. First its not cost efficient. I would not get a job, places to stay are much more expensive daily, and weekly, and thats 3,000 that I coulda saved trying to make it.I will have the money to come back and even if I decide I want to move back to the states because "Everyone hates haoles" I will have money for a plane ticket in a seperate Florida account. Thats my reasoning behind it.

As much as you might like to think you will be a local after a few years; reality check- it will never happen. You are not Hawaiian, you are an outsider that might be accepted...eventually... but you will still be an outsider. You havent gone through the shit they have, its as simple as that. You havent seen land prices increase so high that Hawaiian natives have to work 3 jobs just to be able to afford a mortgage and feed their keiki (hope I spelled that right).
No problem, as mentioned in the surf check forum I know I will never be Hawaiian, and if that means never being excepted then I will have to deal with that. All I can do is show respect about the land, the lineup, and try to understand the history of the people.

Any other questions I will gladly answer. Ps. I do appreciate all the feedback although some negative. At least I will have a better understanding as to what to expect when I arrive.

Thanks
Micah

Return to “Off Topic”