Dumbest Accident

Was that the dumbest thing a person could do?

You may select 1 option

View results

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Dumbest Accident

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:35 am

Well I did a fuck up last night. I accidently stuck a knife almost all the way thru my hand. I was washing dishes and while rinsing off one of the steak knives under the the running water (left hand) I was picking a piece of lettuce out of the drain (right hand) cause it was impeding the water draining. As i am lifting the knife out from under the tap in a crossing over motion to my right to put it in the holder along side the sink. I accidently hit the knife out of my hand against the faucet (as i was rushing to finish the dishes) the knife does like one spin in the air up and over the faucet, now here comes the really dumbass part :lol: Instead of letting it harmlessly fall into the sink while yanking my right hand out of the trajectory. I try to catch it with my left hand. Which is basically following the knife up and over the tap. I did catch it, (making a perfect on my saving throw--Dungeon And Dragon players from childhood will understand that joke) but I caught it on the downward trajectory. In my concentration duh It never occurred? for me to get said right hand out of impending doom. Well my left hand momentum caused me to stab my hand from the back almost all the way through my hand to the palm :shock: .

Needless to say it hurt like a mother*#%$@! and I let out a yell that tarzan would be proud of. Grabbing my wrist I calmly I tell my wife who came running into the kitchen that we need to go to the hospital and to slowly slide the knife out and to put pressure to the non cutting knife edge so it doesnt cut me any more on the way out. She did it no problem and surprisingly there was not much blood, just a slow steady oozing. I applied pressure and was able to just about stop the bleeding. At taped it together and rather than pay $$$$ for the emergency room going to wait till morning and go to the doctor. But if the bleeding (it bled most of the night but very little about maybe a tissue full every once in a while a drop forms and the runs down my hand) has stopped by morning then screw it I'll let it heal on its own. ---Update 7am bleeding has stopped for the most part though cut it self is moist and not scabbed over, im letting it air dry since the bandaids kept it moist all night letting the bleeding to continue. I will let it air dry till 10am, if it doesnt complety dry up then yeah to the doctor for stitches. But it has been drying now for an hour and it looks good.

The good news-- I was stabbed by a complety clean knife and my hands were soapy so thats good, 2nd the knife didnt hit anything only muscle-- my hand functions fine. 3rd I applied a very strong antibacterial to the wound itself (bactoban) and I took a general antibiotic (Doxycycline) which I will stay on a for a week.

Enjoy the photo. :D

Click the picture to see the enlargement.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Bud
Supreme Overlord
Supreme Overlord

Postby Bud » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:42 am

>::] sounds like something I'd do. take care man

red

Postby red » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:22 am

If you don't get stitches that thing is never going to stay closed. Also are you positive there is no ligament, muscle, or nerve damage? Can you still wiggle all your fingers? Also check your capillary refill (see how fast color returns to your fingertips after you squeeze them) to make sure blood is getting through okay. There's a lot that can go wrong still.

Wow, I can't remember all this stuff from when I used to be an EMT.

red

Postby red » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:27 am

oh...I thought the dried blood was the slice. Now I can see it's only about 3/4 to 1 inch wide. All the same if you don't get it closed up proper you risk introducing infection, and it will take a long time to heal.

As I recall there's a shitpipe about a mile off Rincon (I got really sick when I went there and surfed Domes).

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:37 pm

Red I moved to San Francisco in Nov and since I have no wetsuit, no water time.

As for the cut all the vitals are good, i can make fist-a little tender though but i can do it with strength, but not to hard cause cut splits open and starts to bleed. Blood flow to tips good, and feeling sensation...about 85% so might be some slight nerve damage but I am attributing that to the swelling which i might add is not much but still a little swollen. Hand color is same as other hand.

I did go see a doctor today not hospital cause they wanted $600 just admit me for exam. My doctor scolded me, said I should have gotten stitches but that it was to late now and i would have a nice scar (like i really care???) only thing that was worrying me was the slight bight red blood discharge ---about a drop forming every 15-20 minutes, but he said that was normal considering the depth. And he said all things considered i did a good job sealing it up. He cleaned the wound area applied an an oitment pinched it shut with a thin tape then wrapped it. Gave me a tetanus shot in the arm and a antibiotic shot in the hand. Told me to keep it wrapped for 2 days, monitor the color of my hand and if I have any fever go straight to the hospital. But that 98% everything will be ok. And no physical activity with my right hand for the next week guess that eliminates one of my girls :wink: lol
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:43 pm

This is for my mom and all others that cant see the photo. Cut and paste the line below.

http://img473.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0371pi.jpg

7fiveS7vensurfer

Postby 7fiveS7vensurfer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:10 pm

long story short, i fell down a hill longboarding in ill, not bs guys, ive been back and speedoed the hill at my fast time 47.4 mph, but the story is brought my board to ill for my grandmas 90th b day, at like 9 am, went to the hill, picked up some speed from the bunny hill and carrened into the big one, got to about my top speed, and started to slighty carve, road was still dewy, and i hit a patch of gravel, washed out, and ate sheetite. messed up my chin, legs, arms, and chest. has a mild concussion and i am missing bone in my chin

just started to surf not to good, but not bad, dont give me sh*t on my opions and i wont do that to you

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:00 pm

Ok obviously you had a lot of hurt. Now could you please repeat everything you wrote, but this time in plain english for us old farts that dont understand your slang. OH and what sport was it? Snowboarding? In the summer?

Return to “Off Topic”