tiger espere

solo

tiger espere

Postby solo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:24 am

what a loss...

this name was a local legend since i was a kid.

recently, i read this book on jaws. he did the forward, and i was flabbergasted by his words.

super heavy...

i'm gonna miss him, and people like him...
ride the tiger...

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:57 pm

R.I.P.: TIGER
Legendary Hawaiian waterman Tiger Espere passes away
Legendary waterman Tiger Espere passed away on July 22nd at Queen's hospital on Oahu after a month-long bout with cancer.

Tiger was not only a solid North Shore surfer but also a master traditional canoe builder, teacher and Hawaiian historian. He was a member of the Canoe Voyaging Project and had made the voyage from Hawaii to Tahiti on the traditional craft, while also holding canoe-building workshops around the world. He was also a veteran of voyages on the Hokulea and Makalii.

Tiger is perhaps best known for the "Tiger Espere Longboard Classic", an annual surf contest/beach party he started in 1992. Held at Kawaihe on the Big Island, the contest raised awareness about this historic surfing area as both a recreational reserve and an historical/cultural resource. Through Tiger's efforts, a surf park -- called the Pua Ka'ilima 'O Kawaihae Cultural Surf Park -- was created at the breakwater so all can enjoy.

Tiger was also known for paleo printing, the Haka dance, Hawaiian chanting, celestial navigation and even the nose-flute for kids.

Longtime friend Jimmy Z remembers, "Tiger was never a flashy, high-profile type and he didn't like publicity or fame or anything. He was just a good-hearted, simple man an excellent friend and someone I counted on many times when the rip was running to be there to help. He was always there when the surf was 20 foot to make sure his little buddy Jimmy didn't get in trouble and we were a team to be dealt with."

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends who will miss him dearly.

There will be a paddle out at Waimea Bay for those who knew him on Saturday, July 30th at 6am and a scattering of his ashes on the Big Island on August 4th.
"Keep firing, make your attackers advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but they'll have to beat you to death with it, because it's going to be empty!"

Return to “Off Topic”