Whats up with Oahu real estate? Can you own land?

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:11 pm

Good responses, and I thank you.

My response:

#1 What if 2 haoles-- that rent-- but live here all there life have a child-- but obviosly he has no "blood" though he is now hawaiin borne ca he buy land?

#2 I totally agree with you, after researching hawaii, because of the trip and possible move, I found out alot of things I didnt know, some real fucked up shit happened way back then, totally uncool.

#3 How do you limit the population, with out becoming a totalitarian nation, you do enjoy your freedom at least I assume so? Even if you allow no more outsiders, just by population growth birth rate, your population will grow.

#4 Makes sense to me, we have a similar lottery plan as the one you stated--pays for the education budget. To bad you got shitty lawmakers (though we have them too)
Last edited by Puerto_Rico_Surfer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:13 pm

deleted
Last edited by Puerto_Rico_Surfer on Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solos

Postby solos » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:15 pm

i don't see why not.

the whole point is there must be some regulation, else this place will look like newyork or los angeles. we do NOT want that here, although it's already happening. we've seen the damage happen elsewhere, and we learned from others mistakes.

the problem is electing the right politician to make the right things happen...

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:18 pm

Deleted-- for some reason it posted the same message like 4 times

Puerto_Rico_Surfer

Postby Puerto_Rico_Surfer » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:32 pm

I dont agree with with foreigners not being able to own land--though I think I have a biased standpoint on this. Though I could go with if you own it, it has to be part hawaiin owned something similar to a Bali indonesia setup. Promote intermariage or business dealings adding more money to the economy. As for Honolulu looking like tokyo or ny damn thats hard to stop...a real problem.

Personally I got one solution that you didnt mention, but I believe the state should take back outright any large landholdings of companies such as Dole and the large estates, and dont pay a freakin dime, why because these companies have already made there $$$$ thru all the years. Time to give back what was stolen. Even if some are owned by part hawaiin due to intermarriage (think of it as the lease is up since they are the ones with the leaseholds). Any foreigner that lives on less than 200 acres can keep their land. The key word is you own it you live on it, no speculating land prices. This rule would be mostly to get rid of the huge land holdings of thousand and thousands of acres. As for in town and all areas already built up, they could keep the leaseholds but when the lease was due they must sell at 10% below current rate not some higher rate than the going market.

Obviously this is just a rough idea, and would need fine tuning but you get the jist of it.

LGREANZ

Postby LGREANZ » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:04 pm

All you guys are dreaming. What was once paradise will soon be lost.
Over population. What will it be like in 20 years. I really fell bad for peolple like Solo who have had to watch the urbanization of this Island.
Hawaii Kai the condos are sprouting like mushrooms and the roads cant even handle the traffic commute now!. What will happen when there are 1000 more residences over there.
I wish I was fortunate to have lived and surfed here before the skyscrapers, and the investors.
If you were here, then be greatful you were blessed.
All great things must come to an end.

If you want to rent a nice place to live you gotta come out yer pocket.
And if you want to buy then you need alot of time on your hands to search and at least 350,000 to buy a tear down.
There are nice, cheap areas to buy but you gotta sacrifice.
Unless you work nights or never have to commute through the horror of Honolulu traffic.

Return to “Off Topic”